Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Help please to identify these two WW1 uniforms

Caroline1

Hi everybody

First of all please forgive me if I am posting in the incorrect place.

Can anybody help me to identify these two uniforms?  I think the man in the photos is the same person, but I could be wrong.  What do you think?

Many thanks

Caroline

06.jpg

15.jpg

First is pre-war dress uniform of the Norfolk Regiment.

Second is also pre-war dress uniform of the Grenadier Guards. He has the short lived "Broderick" cap in his hand, so date must be within a couple of years of 1905.

Edited by Andrew Upton

1 minute ago, Andrew Upton said:

Oh.  Pre-war?  That's interesting.  Thanks for that.

Hello 

They do look alike, brothers? 

Do you have any info at all on them?

Chris

8 minutes ago, Dragoon said:

Hello 

They do look alike, brothers? 

Do you have any info at all on them?

Chris

No, nothing whatsoever.  There is photograph album with a number of pics in it but nearly all of them are not titled.  My cousin mailed me some of them and these two bear a resemblance to some of my Willsmer antecedents who were in Essex. (Both our families lived in Essex - Birch and Prittlewell and Romford in the 18th/19th c)  I thought if I could identify the uniforms it would help, but so far no gold mine.    Mr Andrew Upton says .............. "The Norfolk Regiment( formerley 9th Regiment of Foot), c.1900 and Second is also pre-war dress uniform of the Grenadier Guards. He has the short lived "Broderick" cap in his hand, so date must be within a couple of years of 1905"  I wonder why one of them would be in the  Grenadier Guards and the in a Norfolk regiment 

Caroline

57 minutes ago, Andrew Upton said:

Second is also pre-war dress uniform of the Grenadier Guards. He has the short lived "Broderick" cap in his hand, so date must be within a couple of years of 1905.

Thank you.   It all just leads me down new and strange pathways.  

Caroline

I'm no expert, but in the pre-War period it was common for men to join regiments which were nominally affiliated to a specific county other than their own. As an example my grandfather, a Londoner, joined the 2nd South Lancashire Regt in 1906 and there's no evidence of his ever having been outside the capital until then; in fact, many - even perhaps the majority - of his battalion were Londoners as far as I can see. The Guards regiments, unlike e.g. the Norfolks, didn't have county affiliations.

Good luck with the research, Caroline.

Pat

I would like to second the comments made by Pat Atkins.  

The Norfolk Regt soldier is wearing a full dress scarlet tunic and these were withdrawn upon the outbreak of war and never placed on general issue again.  The Grenadier Guard also has a pre-War tunic, marked out by the grenade on his shoulder straps that was later replaced by a (order of the) ‘garter’ strap.

Edited by FROGSMILE

20 hours ago, FROGSMILE said:

I would like to second the comments made by Pat Atkins.  

The Norfolk Regt soldier is wearing a full dress scarlet tunic and these were withdrawn upon the outbreak of war and never placed on general issue again.  The Grenadier Guard also has a pre-War tunic, marked out by the grenade on his shoulder straps that was later replaced by a (order of the) ‘garter’ strap.

Thanks for this info.

Regards,

Caroline

On 12/1/2017 at 14:07, Pat Atkins said:

I'm no expert, but in the pre-War period it was common for men to join regiments which were nominally affiliated to a specific county other than their own. As an example my grandfather, a Londoner, joined the 2nd South Lancashire Regt in 1906 and there's no evidence of his ever having been outside the capital until then; in fact, many - even perhaps the majority - of his battalion were Londoners as far as I can see. The Guards regiments, unlike e.g. the Norfolks, didn't have county affiliations.

Good luck with the research, Caroline.

Pat

Thanks so much for this info.

Caroline