The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

War diaries by Naval & military press any good?

Rokiisun

I have an ancestry account where I can access the war diaries for the Seaforth Highlanders 7th battalion any time (as long as I’m able to afford my subscription that month) but I would really like the diaries in book form because sometimes it just feels nice to have a physical book.

I’ve found a few of these books online in places like Waterstones and Amazon which is great but I think the particular book I’m looking for must be rare as all the copies I’ve been able to find online are roughly £76 whereas the other war diaries by the same publisher are noticeably cheaper (£13.99 - £25). 

Does anybody have war diary paperback books published by Naval & military press? Are they worth the money or is it best just sticking with ancestry? I would feel very guilty buying a paperback book for that price knowing I can’t afford it so I’m wondering if there might be a way of finding a cheaper copy (if it’s not rare).

Cheers

Roki

I have several and they are good. Of course they vary depending on the quality of the original material but the copying is very good. I too use on-line sources but somehow having a physical copy suits me best.

I would agree with Keith. I have a brigade war diary and have just sent for a battalion one from N&M. Prices vary a lot depending on the size of the diary. N&M has periodic sales with 20% off everything,, making most in the £30s.

Michael