The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

World War One Rugby Players Memorial Book

The Scorer

Has anyone seen a copy of this and can say what it's like, please?

It’s published by Francourt Events and is one of a number of things that they’re doing, including commissioning a memorial on the Western Front, which was unveiled in September. I’m interested in buying it, but before I do, I’d like to know more about what it contains.

Thank you.

Phil

It's an A4 booklet rather than a book.  It was produced in English and French for the dedication of the World Rugby Memorial at Craonnelle, Aisne last September. It contains a series of articles on how the memorial came about, including one on Jean Pierre-Rives (yes, him) who sculpted it. There are also short articles on each of the main rugby countries and some of their players who died. I contributed a  two page piece on Welsh rugby and the war. I don't know if it is available for purchase, but you could contact the organiser John Dennison at http://www.francourt.org/.

Associated with the World Rugby Memorial, a Book of Remembrance of rugby players of all abilities is currently being compiled and I understand it will also be made available online before too long.

Gwyn

Edited by Aneurin
Additional information.

Thanks, that's very interesting.

I'm surprised at the size, though; I was under the impression that it was a book. It's certainly "book size priced", as it's 15 Euros or £18.00! It could. of course, be the Book of Remembrance, but the web site says this this is already available, so maybe not. Here's a link to the web site:  http://www.francourt.org/product/world-war-one-rugby-players-memorial-book/ 

No, it's not the Book of Remembrance.

It's about 60 pages long but all the articles are translated into French, so only 30 or so pages are in English. It includes  quite a lot of images, many in colour. 

Gwyn

Ah, that's interesting, thanks.

It's a bit expensive for what it is (even allowing for your excellent contribution!), so I think that I'll pass on it for the time being.

Best wishes!