The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

R.C.Sheriffs' Journeys End

Ciaran Byrne

Has anyone seen the play? Went to see it a few months ago and I have to say it is one of the best plays I have ever seen, really moving. Its ending on 15th Jan so I recommend you go and see it before it does. You will not be disapointed.

Ciaran

I'll second that - I went to see it in London about 3months or so ago and thought it was terrific.

I'm not sure who is in the cast now but at the time I saw it it featured David Haig, Phil Cornwell, Guy Williams, Paul Bradley, and Geoffrey Streatfield.

One nice touch was that the theatre programme featured WW1 items belonging to the cast and passed down by relatives who fought in the war.

I think I read it has been extended to the end of February in London - if you haven't been go!

Mike

Ciaran

I'll second that - I went to see it in London about 3months or so ago and thought it was terrific.

I'm not sure who is in the cast now but at the time I saw it it featured David Haig, Phil Cornwell, Guy Williams, Paul Bradley, and Geoffrey Streatfield.

One nice touch was that the theatre programme featured WW1 items belonging to the cast and passed down by relatives who fought in the war.

I think I read it has been extended to the end of February in London - if you haven't been go!

Mike

Yes, they were in the cast when I saw it. I thought it was really moving at the end when they displayed the names of those killed in action belonging to the London Regiment. Really moving. I thought the sound affects were really good too, especially the bombarment at the end. One poor old dear in front of us nearly had a heart attack!!

In Wolverhampton, all the dialogue AND the sound was 'signed' for those with a hearing impairment.

• 2 weeks later...

Haven't seen the play but he used to live near me.

• 3 years later...

I went to see it tonight in Portsmouth, Ive seen it before but had forgotten just how powerful it is . If you get the the chance ? dont miss it . "MO"

and here

http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/i...hl=journeys+end

I saw it in Birmingham 18 months or so ago and it was excellant. Recommended.

TT

Excuse ego trip. In November the Surrey History Centre, Woking, www.surreycc.gov.uk/surreyhistorycentre has a series of some 11 talks to commemorate the 90th anniv of WWI. Great list of speakers (including Holmes and Robertshaw). The Centre, which unlike some is friendly, helpful and committed has really put a huge effort into the event. Now to the point - As part of the programme, on the 22nd I have been asked to speak on "R C Sherriff's Journey: From Soldier to Playright" about the author's war and how it inspired him to write the only truly worthwhile play about the Great War, Journey's End.

Ego now deflated, and it would be great to meet Forum users for "drinks to follow".

I went to watch it last night at the Wigan little theatre, not quite The Old Vic but still.

I think its on till next Saturday, I enjoyed it and the acting was very good.

Nick

Hello,

I can't resist adding that I saw a version of it presented as a school play. That must have been in in 1948/9.

Old Tom

It was always a popular boys' school play, since it required no females. Hardly a single public schoolboy that I know has not seen it or been in it, and some of them were very good loooking too!