The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Stretcher bearers

Bean tool

Hello all,

I'm trying to envisage the role of the stretcher bearer in WW1 and I have a few questions. If anyone has the answers they would be greatly received. 

1. Would they go over the top with the rest of the soldiers?

2. When they have picked up a casualty would they take them back to the trench or back to the field hospital behind the lines? 

3. Would officers tell them it was too dangerous to leave the trench after a failed attack or would they be expected to go whatever the circumstance?

4. Where they recognised by the enemy and 'left alone' so to speak?

5. Would they collect German soldiers after one of their failed attacks?

I'm trying to piece together the experience of an ancestor. 

Many thanks all

Dan

Dan,

Some good info in this previous thread for you.

Derek.

Edited by Derek Black

Cheers Jonathan, I did see the book listed online. Very expensive but I'll be sure to get a copy.

Thanks

Dan

Thanks Foreigngong. I'm going to hay on wye in a few weeks so I might get lucky there and find a copy. Many book shops! 

Dan

• 3 months later...

Hopefully not offending anyone by bending the rules slightly. Copy of The Long Carry just gone up on a certain auction site at only £49.

ABE BOOKS 

11 minutes ago, BIFFO said:

ABE BOOKS 

Yeah...I just looked there and only 2 copies are available, one being over $400 and the other over $600.  Too rich for my blood, I'm afraid.

I'm struggling to find any clear description of Dunham's book.  Was he a battalion stretcher bearer?  One of my relatives was a RAMC bearer, hence my interest. 

10 minutes ago, MrSwan said:

Buffnut - Dunham was a regimental stretcher bearer with the 7th London Regiment. He had picked up a first aid certificate prior to joining the army in 1916 and was very early on assigned to this role. He gives a very understated account of his experiences, which did involve clearing wounded from the battlefield under fire, but a recurrent theme throughout the book is his fear of being returned to infantry duties.

As I've previously mentioned, this is one of the best accounts available. It is worth purchasing, but not sure $400-$600 is justifiable!

(I won't annoy you by telling you how much my ex-library copy cost!) 

Thanks McSwan...appreciate the info.  Please don't tell me how much your ex-library copy cost.  I saw one of those on Amazon for $150! 

Specifically on q3, the most decorated enlisted man of the war was a stretcher bearer - William Coltman of 1/5 North Staffordshire Regt.  VC, DCM & bar, MM & bar.  Most of the awards for bringing men in from in front of the lines.

A friends grandfather, Joseph Brown (100514), RAMC , won his DCM at the battle of Scarpe when the regimental stretcher bearers became casualties and he went out to bring in wounded and then established a dressing station  ( from memory he took on the dressing station bit as there were no  officers left to “lead” the men).

Simon