The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

The Weary Road

Guest Rory

Received a book called the Weary Road by Charles Douie for Christmas, was just wondering what other members thought of it. Got a stack of WW1 books for christmas i had requested, but not heard of this one.

Cheers

Rory

Very good indeed - one of the walks you will be doing next year follows the story of this book around Authuille. One of the best Somme memoirs, in my opinion.

• 3 years later...

I have finally read this book having had it on my shelves for about a year. It should be more widely available now, as mine is an N & M reprint, but I bought it second-hand. Why anyone would want to get rid of it is beyond my comprehension.

As Rory and Paul say, it is one of the best memoirs of the Great War I have read. Douie cuts through the political and literature overlay of the war to the root which caused his fellow soldiers to join up, and stresses that although they seemed inarticulate, and willing to turn aside any probing question with "a facetious response", they were well aware of the issues involved.

One of those books which you find yourself turning to at any spare minute in the day.

I have a spare copy of this excellent book. First PM grabs it.