The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

German Units 30th Sep-1st Oct 1917

Peter Beckett

Looking for any information about the following units plus artillery for those days listed.

I have picked up from Official History of the War - Military Operations - France and Belgium 1917 the following as a footnote on page 302:

Note 2: The German attacks on 30th Sep and 1st Oct were made by regiments of two fresh divisions, the 8th and 45th Reserve, supported by 12 sections of specially trained assault groups of the Sturmbataillon of the Fourth Army

I am particularly interested in artillery units as these commenced a hurricane bombardment at 5 am covering 1,500 yard frontage from the Reutelbeek northwards to Polygon Wood, smothering with shell the whole area back to a thousand yards.

This was the barrage that killed 2 RE sappers and put my Grandfather William Beckett out of the war as a casualty

Peter ;)

Hello Peter,

Your question is interesting and unfortunately difficult if you do not have the full details of the attached artillery units at division, corps and army levels. The division artillery units attached to the 8th ID and 45th RD are easy to identify: 74th Field Artillery Regiment and 45th Reserve Field Artillery Regiment.

I have made a quick review of my records but unfortunately they do not include the information on attached units of heavy artillery that would also be involved in the bombardment. I will continue to check but the person best placed to answer is most likely jan (AOK4). His area of expertise fits this question like a glove.

Have you checked his web site for further details? If not I would highly recommend it. If I come across anything further i will let you know.

Ralph