The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

2nd battalion the Queen's (Royal West Surry) Reg'

Guest waterloo

Hi

I am researching my Grand Father's military career, he joined The Queen's in 1908 serving in Gibraltar, Burmuda and South Africa, before serving in the Great War. He was captured in 1917 and spent the remainder of the War as a POW in Germany. After the War he re-inlisted and spent a further 4 years with the Regiment.

His Name : private Frederick F Rendall.

I own a few photographs of his Regiment, does anyone else have any photographs, i would be happy to SWAP.

regards john

hi ian

thanks for the advise, i'm looking for any photos, of my grandfathers unit or himself......i have a couple of photographes already in my collection.

cheers john

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Russell.Gore@crawley.gov.uk

Clandon House near Guildford houses a vast amount of QRWS memorabilia,well worth a visit.

Who or what is the Jervis collection ? (excuse mental block on this)

Yes Clandon House is a good bet, very helpful to, they even hold the nominal rolls for some of the regular battalions just prior to out break of war in 1914. Not sure but I think it is only open between march and october, I live just round the corner from there and the last time I went they were still operating on a donation basis.

Guest Russell.Gore@crawley.gov.uk

Hi again,I seem to recall that Dover Castle Museum,seems to hold a lot of QRWS stuff,maybe worth it to give them a call,plus have you tried the local Newspapers of the time,there may wll be a picture and an obituary in them,the local library should have these or failing that the National News paper Library at Hendon will have them,finally,what IS the Jervis collection ???????

I found Dover to be rather poor compared to Clandon House, Clandon House is purely QRWS rather than Dover covering the 12 regiments amalgamated over the years to make up the PWRR. I would opt for clandon house there is more reference material.