As per CWGC

Name: PYKE, HENRY CHARLES

Initials: H C

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment: Army Pay Corps

Unit Text: (Canterbury)

Date of Death: 31/12/1915

Service No: 7748

Additional information: Son of Charles John and Ellen Pyke, of 37, Letcombe St., Reading. Served in France.

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: 43. 13630.

Cemetery: READING CEMETERY

& the cemetery info

Cemetery: READING CEMETERY

Locality: Berkshire

Location Information: This is at the junction of the road to London (A4) and to Wokingham (A423). It is the property of the Reading Cemetery Company, established under Act of Parliament in 1841.

Historical Information: The War Graves Plot is situated at the back of the cemetery, in the right hand corner from the entrance. A Screen Wall Memorial commemorates those buried in Plot 72 and those buried in other parts of the cemetery whose graves are not marked by headstones. There are 205 Commonwealth burials of the 1914-1918 war and 41 of the 1939-1945 war. There is also 1 Serbian burial.

No. of Identified Casualties: 247

Henry Pyke's online MIC index entry can be seen here

Curious remark from the nok on the CWGC entry regarding having served in France..........I assume it was important for them to stress that although their boy was buried in the UK he had 'done his bit' over in France...........which raises a question in my mind............Was there at the time a stigma attached to having undertaken Home Service only? (I have opened a seperate thread in the 'Other' section posing this question)

Edited by Will O'Brien

I don't know if Henry Pyke's name appears on the Reading war memorial but he is remembered on the Reading Remembrance Trust website which comemorates servicemen & women from Reading who died in the service of their country.