The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Enlistment .

steve140968

<_< I have been researching a solder on my local town memorial in Attleborough , Norfolk . After a bit of digging it would appear that he was in the Middlesex regiment . I was wondering what governed which regiment a solder joined . Any help , thankyou . Steve .

I was wondering what governed which regiment a solder joined .

Many things, Steve.

Locality,tradition,personal choice, necessity, availibility, to name but a few. All or none of these (plus others) could also be affected by the particular time period of the war in which a soldier enlisted.

Does this make sense to you? (If not, I'll expand upon my answer tomorrow)

Dave.

;) Thanks Dave , i suppose many would choose to join local regiments , where you would expect most to go . I just found it an unusual combination , maybe he had family serving with the Middlesex ! Could you choose any regiment or were some restricted ? Steve .

Hi Steve

Could you choose any regiment or were some restricted

I think most of the lads joining up in the early months of the war could choose which ever Regt. or Corps they wanted. I have an example of a group of mates from Blackburn area joining the Shropshire because they throught the name was fancy.

I guess some Regiments like the Guards may have been more retricted plus possiblely the R.E.

Annette

;) Thanks Annette , as i have no enlistment date YET , only a KIA date of the 14/6/1918 i am unsure when he enlisted . It could be that he had no choice about joining the Middlesex . Do you think that any of the artillery regiments were 'sought after' ? Steve .