The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Whitby Artillery Volunteers

My father has the following (undated) newspaper article that refers to either his great-great-grandfather John Braim (born 6 May 1850), or his son John Braim (born 1878). I do know that the elder John was a builder in Whitby, but I'm not sure what his son did. Here's the article:

"Funeral of ex-Sergeant-Major Braim

The funeral took place at Whitby Cemetery on Saturday afternoon of the late Mr. John Braim builder and contractor, Whitby, the officiating minister being the Rev. J W Bowman, pastor of the West Cliff Congregational Church. The remains were followed by several members of the local section of Territorials and late Artillery Volunteers, and their number would, no doubt, have been larger but for the fact that very wintry weather prevailed and it was market day. Sergeant Dickinson, Sgt. Hill, Corpls Lawson, Hill, Harland and Bomd. Henderson, all Territorials, acted as bearers in carrying the coffin from the house to the hearse, and at the cemetery the coffin was carried to the graveside by members of the late Artillery Volunteers, of which the body of the deceased was an active member, rising to rank of Sergeant Major; those who acted as bearers were Sergt. Major Jowsey, Sergt W. Taylor, Quarter-Master Sergt. Fitter Wray, Corpl. Aaron Groves, Gunner J. Hill and Sergt. Anderson, R.A. (late instructor). There were about 30 Territorials and ex-Volunteers present, and Captain Cradock in command."

Unfortunately the little newspaper clipping gives no other clues, the reverse of the page merely provides information about sermons at the church. The church mentioned does have a website that lists a reverend Joseph W. Bowman, 1906-1917, which narrows things down a bit.

Does anyone know anything about the Whitby Artillery Volunteers?

The newspaper article is after 1908 as it refers to the RGA Territorials which were formed at the dissolution of the Artillery Volunteers when the TF was reformed from the old miltias etc. In this case it would be the 1st East Riding Artillery Volunteers.

Roop

Guest Pete Wood

In the same 1913 directory, the Officer Commanding the Territorial Force Reserve and Northumbrian Brigade Royal Field Artillery was Lt. N[orman?]. Cradock.

The info for the directories was usually collated in the previous year. I would say that means that if this is the same officer, and he was promoted to Captain, it would date the funeral to 1912 or later.

I hope this helps.