The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Looking for recommendation

suesalter1

I'm looking for any recommended book(s) on the Spring Offensive 1918. Martin Middlebrook's 'The Kaiser's Battle' comes to mind, but believe that only deals on the first day - 21st March.

Any suggestions?

Sue

Correct, 'The Kaiser's Battle' covers just the first day.  Have recently read 'The Imperial War Museum book of 1918 Year of Victory', by Malcolm Brown, one of the Pan Grand Strategy Series.  Published in 1999 and possibly a little dated, but goes up to the Armistice. Can also recommend 'To the Last Man- Spring 1918' by Lyn Macdonald.  Am sure there are many others!

Mike.

Edited by MikeyH

Thanks for this. I found Lyn MacDonald's book on Amazon and thought that would be a good bet. I have all her other titles, so will add this to my collection and having just seen the film 'Journey's End' I might get Martin Middlebrook's book as well.

Sue.

A novel which includes it is, if I recall correctly, John Buchan's Mr Standfast :)

On ‎25‎/‎02‎/‎2018 at 15:23, suesalter1 said:

I'm looking for any recommended book(s) on the Spring Offensive 1918. Martin Middlebrook's 'The Kaiser's Battle' comes to mind, but believe that only deals on the first day - 21st March.

Any suggestions?

Sue

Hi

Two more are:

'The German 1918 Offensives' by David T. Zabecki.

'The German Offensives of 1918' by Ian Passingham.

The first offers a detailed analysis of the German actions and operations.  The second covers the offensives generally and a little less detail than the first.

Mike

Edited by MikeMeech

A late entry.  'The Fifth Army in March 1918' by Walter Shaw-Sparrow. It's an old book, but still worth a read. It's available in Kindle format for 49p, cheap as chips.

#6, is it snowing in here?

Mike.

13 minutes ago, MikeyH said:

#6, is it snowing in here?

Mike.

A proper whiteout!