The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

German soldier unit identification

deutscherinfanteriest

Can you help me to identify his unit (but I know that it is difficult)?

soldier.jpg

He is a saxon (also for cuffs) and the helmet.

Another question, what medal he has on his breast?

What a simply fantastic photograph! Lots to get into there but I will defer to my German colleagues on rank, etc..

The ammo pouches would make this probably a Pionier? A Fussartillerist is out of the question because of the Pickelhaube.

Might be the Iron Cross 2/Class on one of those odd mountings. But may be SAXON medal & might even be 2 medal ribbons. Great photo in any case.

5 hours ago, deutscherinfanteriest said:

Hey I've noted a strange thing: his belt buckle?

He merely has it skewed off to the viewers left - you can even see the stitching for the buckles tongue, eg:

Image result for ww1 german belt

Hello!

Because of the very dark (black?) collar and cuff-pipings and the M87/88 ammo-pouches this Unteroffizier seems to be a saxon engineer.

Here is an example for saxon Pi.Btl.22

Pi.Btl. 22 (5.Korporalschaft).JPG

Edited by The Prussian

Nice shot of his Gew. 98, and its muzzle cover, and especially nice to see the NCO troddel! It looks to me to be a single medal ribbon, presumably Saxon - white/colour/white/colour/white. Also nice to see his sharpshooter award!

22 hours ago, GreyC said:

Hi,

if I am correct in interpreting the helmet he should have served with a Saxon guard unit.

GreyC

The helmet plate with cross seen here is for Saxon reserve (and Landwehr) formations.

8 hours ago, The Prussian said:

Because of the very dark (black?) collar and cuff-pipings and the M87/88 ammo-pouches this Unteroffizier seems to be a saxon engineer.

I concur. The visual difference between the black piping on collar / cuffs and the red piping on tunic front / skirt bottom edge on the Feldgrau uniform can be difficult to spot, but this example from Reserve-Pionier-Kompagnie Nr.53 (53.RD / XXVII.RK) in Flanders should make it clearer what we mean:

RPK53_PB12_Ruhequartier.jpg.dc8eaa0370077fb255219fddad7f3ce1.jpg

Edited by bierast
Typo

1 hour ago, bierast said:

The helmet plate with cross seen here is for Saxon reserve (and Landwehr) formations.

Hello!

Where do you see a cross? To me it´s a simple helmet for active units.

What about the ribbon? I don´ t believe in EK II

Scannen0001.jpg

Edited by The Prussian

1 hour ago, The Prussian said:

Where do you see a cross?

In between the Sachsenwappen and the star, like this (sorry for use of Fussartillerie examples for convenience):

293523_1.jpg.f57eb37a3ed108fe1ce627ecfcf1b0b1.jpg

You can usually spot it in photos by looking for the flat(-tish) end of the bottom arm of the cross, and the shadow between this piece and the star (unit: Reserve-Fußartillerie-Regiment Nr. 19):

RFussaR19_1915_detail2.jpg.3344d64ea7fb993bb656be5740f09926.jpg

Unit: Fussartillerie-Bataillon Nr.123, of which one battery was formerly 3. Batterie of Reserve-Fußartillerie-Regiment Nr. 19:

FussaBattr123_KarpathenNov1.jpg.512778654c5cab48dd08bc2652fbf53f.jpg

Edited by bierast

Oh, yes, you´re right!!!!!! Thanks a lot! I thought , the cros was smaller like in Prussia!

You also might be right with the ribbon. Probably there ain´t no other one!
Great job, mate!!!!!!

file.jpg

this medal doesn't looks like what the soldier wears (it isn't a EK II)

IMG_3602.JPG.b24704daf2487573448f8416560

As you can see EK II on ribbon bar the black stands out for the eye

I think that I've found the medal, but it is the civil merit cross of Saxony (perhaps earned before the war or military service?)

L8682.jpg

I haven't been able to find photos of the relevant sub-units with their helmet covers off, but would surmise based on other arms of service that helmets with the Reservekreuz were consistently issued only to the first wave of Pionier formations allowed for in the mobilisation scheme - namely the 1. and 2. Reserve-Kompagnie in each of Pionier-Bataillon Nr.12 and Pionier-Bataillon Nr.22, plus possibly the single Landwehr-Pionier-Kompagnie each formed by XII and XIX Armeekorps.

but the coloured stripes are very separated... I think that it is more years of service in the army:D