The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

218773 Gnr Anthony Bullock 33rd Siege Battery, RGA

wellsms

Hi,

I have been trying to research this man, but am struggling to get even the most basic data.

I have him on a photo (posted elsewhere a couple of times here ) of 33rd Siege Battery Football team, in France in 1918.

I also have photos of him in uniform, clearly showing his RGA shoulder badge.

He is listed on the Accrington Absent Voters List as living as 34 Oswald Street, service number, RGA and rank are all given.

His MIC is not online

I have had a professional researcher (Jonathan Collins) look for his mic/records - unsuccessfully.

Does anyone have any other ideas on shedding some light on this man's service?

Any ideas warmly welcomed

thanks

Mike

Hi Mike,

Presumably you have noticed that the 2187** number group for RGA is suspect.

The MIC index gives a total of 24 RGA of this number group of which your man is not present as already stated.

Given the small number displayed we can be pretty sure that some information is wrong for your man or another reason exists for his non appearance. Even his name within the RGA can not be matched with any closeness.It is noticable but most likely coincidental that the 2187** RGA numbers in MIC match almost the number of men in the football team photo, long shot for sure but there should be many more of this number group to make a battery or group thereof.

Another long shot is to try these for MIC and SR.It may give a clue to his service.

Medal card of Jones, David G

Corps: Royal Garrison Artillery

Regiment No: 218774

Medal card of John, Daniel

Regiment No: 218775

Medal card of Richards, David J

Regiment No: 218778

What was the original source of information?? Just the AVL or do you have several sources confirming the same info??

Hope this helps rather than confuses.

Roop

Just a thought, but a possible explanation for his non-appearance in the MICs might be that he arrived in France in November or December 1918, and wasn't entitled to any medals.

Regards

Gavin

Mike

I'd agree with Roop in that the quality of your data could be suspect.

I checked the 1901 census and found your man living at 107 Plantation Street, Accrington. He's the son of Robert and Ann, and I went back to the record of their marriage in 1885 to find her maiden name was Wightman, but even using this surname I couldn't find him on MIC.

Something ain't right!

Steve

Roop, Steve, Gavin

Thanks for the replies.

The only source I have.. other than the photos, is the AVL, and it is speculation that they are the same man.

However, if it isn't 'my' Anthony Bullock, it's certainly an A Bullock with that service number/RGA/Gunner. Does anyone know if the AVL covers only men serving overseas or all men who were on service.... it would explain the lack of MIC, but would be at odds with the football team photo, which definiately has an Amiens stamp.

Shame there isn't a month on the photo, it would help with Gavin's suggestion.

I think I will look for some additional data. I know that he married one of my Gt Gt Aunts (Eliza Hughes) hence the interest. I'll send off for the Marriage Certificate and see what the addresses are.

In the meantime thanks for the input, as every with this forum it gives you another angle to try

cheers

Mike