The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Lieutenant Colonel Charles Edmund Ross

RWFmedals

Dear All

Being a recently joined member I have few postings to my name. However now I have had time to try and catch up with the historical posts I'd like to dip a toe in the water. I have been more than impressed with the quality of information that other member's have been able to contribute and am hoping that some kind soul's can expand further on Lt-Col Ross' roaming service, as my records only cover the RWF. This is a new addition for my collection and has yet to be looked up at the NA but would appreciate any help that anyone could offer.

Charles Edmund Ross was born on 9th September 1863 and first enlisted with the Cheshire Regiment, I believe on the 6th February 1884. He served in the Indian Army at some time winning a two bar India General Service Medal.

He then appears in the London Gazette commissioned into the Yorkshire Regiment as a Major, relinquishing his commission on account of ill health from 25th March 1915.

He then appears as serving in the Garrison Bn Liverpool Regiment in October 1917 and promoted to acting Lt Col while commanding a Bn 3rd May - 29th May 1917.

Next he is listed as serving with the Garrison Bn Royal Welch Fusiliers (although no clue which one !)

His medal index card confirms service with the Yorkshire Regiment, Liverpool Regiment and the Royal Welch Fusiliers.

Has anyone come across Lt Col Ross during their researching endeavours ?

Regards

Richard

Could I please draw your attention to the fact that your avatar, whilst excellent, is very similar to mine? To avoid confusion, would you consider changing it? Mine is widely recognised.

As for your query, the gallant but ageing Ross has evaded me and several other researchers. He does not appear in the usual places!

I'm very fond of my avatar and have been using it for years on other forums.

However as you were kind enough to entertain me just before Christmas and sell me a copy of your most excellent rework of 'Old Soldier's' I shall dig out a suitable replacement !

Regards

Richard

Here he is in the 1881 census, but that's the sum of my contributions!

Steve

(p.s., I agree about the avatar and immediately thought of Langley Baston when I spotted it!)

LB

Rank has it’s privileges ! sir ;)

Avatar changed. Confusion avoided.

Steve - Thanks for the Census (and consensus !)

Regards

Richard

Chris

This may be of interest. Cheshire Regiment movements in India:

1st Battalion

1887-91 - Burma

1891-95 - Begaum

1895-97 - Bellary

1897-1901 - Secunderabad

1901-03 - Bombay

2nd Battalion

1904-09 - Madras

1909-11 - Schwebo (Burma)

1911- Jubulpore

Dave

Hi Richard,

Major C.E. ROSS was serving with the 9th Battalion, Yorkshire Regt, on 14 October 1914. This Battalion was formed at Richmond, Yorkshire, in September 1914, and was under the command of Lt Col H.G. Holmes.. On the 28 September 1914 it moved to Frensham and then in early December 1914 moved the Aldershot. In February 1915 it again moved to Folkstone and remained in that area until embarkation for Boulogne on 27 August 1915.

Major ROSS did not go with them because an entry in the London Gazette indicated that 'Temp Major C.E. ROSS relinquishes his Commission on account of Ill-health [March 25, 1915].

Sorry that there was nothing more exciting to add.

Ian.

Hi Ian

Nothing to be sorry about, things are becomming clearer by the day. :) I now have a battalion for his service in the Yorkshire Regiment, and you have kindly saved me looking up the movements for the 9th (Service) Bn.

Next stop the Liverpool's !

Thanks again

Richard