The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Tunnelling Companies

smiths565

Can anybody tell me more about the Royal Engineers, 184th Tunnelling Company. Specifically No. 4 section

I have been researching men from the Stannington area - Sheffield, Parish of Bradfield.

John Tattersall was in this regiment and his is buried in a local cemetery. He died on the 30th of October 1919. I do know he enlisted in 1914, in the West Yorkshire regiment. We had clay miners in the area, so I assume he moved to a tunnelling company, due to his knowledge of 'clay kicking'.

Can anybody tell me where this tunnelling company worked and hopefully which mines they fired.

Obviously if anybody can tell me more about John Tattersall it would be great.

was he wounded in an underground incident ?

full details on John can be found on my website

Stannington Roll Of Honour 1914-20

Thanks in advance

Oh and happy new year to all !

Cheers

Robert.

Evening Robert,

Probably the best source of primary information would be the Company War Diary which is avaialable at the NA and can be accessed HERE

This should cover the period of interest.I have transferred his info for easier viewing:

Tattersall, John Royal Engineers,

184th Tunnelling Company No. 4 Section Sapper 79224 27

Wesleyan Methodist Chapel, Stannington, Sheffield, England 30-Oct 1919 Son of Joseph & Sarah (nee Wragg) Tattersall. Born in Stannington.

Enlisted September 1914, in the West Yorkshire Regiment. Served in France. Joseph & Sarah married in June 1893. John was born in September 1893

Roop