The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

43835 Cpl W Gearey 1Bn Royal Irish Rifles

Stewart1966

Cpl Will Gearey was my great grandfather's younger brother and was killed on 4th Oct 1918.

The story that has passed down through the family was that Will suffered a "Blighty" on this day and when being stretchered to a waiting ambulance he met his brother in law and explained he'd got a Blighty wound and was pleased to be leaving the war for good. However, the family story goes that his brother in law watched the ambulance drive away with Will inside when it took a direct hit from a German shell killing him.

I was told that this was alsdo the last day that 1 Royal Irish Rifles served in the front line! I have been sent the exact details of his grave in Belgium by the Commonwealth War Graves Commission but I just wondered whether it was possible to find any further details about his exploits in the war. I have read somewhere that he originally enlisted in the London Regiment in Shropshire. The family came from Lambeth and he was living in Walworth at the time so nobody alive today in the family knows why he apparrantly enlisted in Shropshire being a South Londoner born and bred!