The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

2nd Battalion York & Lancaster

KONDOA

Evening Chums,

A soldier buried at Flatiron Copse is of interest to me. If a pal could provide a potted history regarding this unit of the Y&L around the time of his death. He was not KIA but DOW I suspect.

Lance Corporal JOSEPH HENRY DRAKES

8598, 2nd Bn., York and Lancaster Regiment

who died age 27 on 12 September 1916

Many Thanks for any assistance.

Roop

Roop

The first mention I have of the 2nd Yorkshire and Lancashire Regiment is on 15th September, when they were assigned the objective of 'Morval and line beyond'. This is from the British Official History. Nothing prior to that in the Day-by-day account either. Presumably, Lance Corporal Drakes was wounded on the way up to or in the front line?

Robert

Roop.

The 2/York & Lancs. during September 1916 were at Villers-Bocage (6th), Corbie on the 7th, then Bois des Tallies on the 8th. On the 11th September ,they moved to Malz Horn Farm, Chimpanzee Trench and remained there untill the attack on Leuze Wood and the Quadrilateral on the 15th.

Incidentally, your man is listed as KIA in SDGW, which is actually quite likely when the battalion's location is taken into consideration.

Dave.

Morning Chums,

Not wishing to try your patience with this subject but:

Does a chum have a Somme trenchmap section showing :

Malz Horn Farm

Chimpanzee Trench

Also would appreciate place of enlistment etc for Joseph Henry Drakes above from SDGW.

Many thanks to all.

Roop

Morning Chums,

Not wishing to try your patience with this subject but:

Does a chum have a Somme trenchmap section showing :

Malz Horn Farm

Chimpanzee Trench

Also would appreciate place of enlistment etc for Joseph Henry Drakes above from SDGW.

Many thanks to all.

Roop

Roop.

He was born in Belton, Lancs. and he enlisted in Pontefract.

and...

Here's a section of trenchmap (62cNW1) showing Maltz Horn Farm in April 1916. The long trench running SW to S across the scan is "Maltz Horn Trench". Chimpanzee Trench was SSW of this trench, but I don't think it was shown on this map, unless it's the "offshoot" of Maltz Horn Trench.

Dave.

post-2-1105143125.jpg

He was born in Belton, Lancs. and he enlisted in Pontefract.

Hello Dave

Is it possible that should read Belton, Lincs rather than Lancs ?

Andy

Many Thanks Dave, This chap is a very distant family member born Belton in Axeholme , Lincs. His family (who have recently contacted me) have no idea how/where he died. In 3 days you have provided very specific detail to within a few hundred yards of where he was killed. Great work and much appreciated.

Roop

Guest Steve Dalton

Hi all,

I was wondering how you came across such detailed information on this regiment. My Grandfather was wounded during one of the battles of Ypres but with the first battalion, and would love to learn more about what happened.