The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Identity of British Officer, Belgrade November 1918

Resurgam13

I recently finished re-reading "The Red Cross in Serbia 1915 - 1919 : A Personal Diary of Experiences" by  Elsie Corbett (Banbury, Oxon: Cheney & Sons Ltd, 1964) and was struck by this passage:

November 13th, Belgrade. My ear was so bad that Kathleen sent Radosh back with her Alice and insisted on driving me. We had endless trouble making Diana run on benzole, and as even that was practically used up, we made our triumphal entry into the Capital, just two days after the Armistice, backwards up the last hill. One of a Ford's useful gifts was that as the petrol ran by gravity, you had only to turn round on a hill and it ran back into the engine. We were just too late for Armistice Day, but the Crown Prince and Missitch and all the other grandees had made their triumphal entry almost a week before . . . Somebody found a poor English officer in the town, with pneumonia and pyaemia, and brought him into our quarters and our Unit nursed him till he died. He was captured off the Belgian coast three years before, escaped from Germany and got to Cracow, where he found a Polish doctor who had been at Eton and Cambridge with him, and who gave him papers to get him through Austria. He made his way down, with two interned Englishmen from Vienna, just before the Armistice ; he fell ill and was disastrously treated by old Major Gashiatz, and died. We were glad he had his fcllow-countrywomen to care for him at the end, and that his parents would be written to, but I still feel a pang of bitter regret that we couldn't save him.

Would it be at all possible to identify the unfortunate English officer?

England & Wales Probate Calendar 1919:

CLINTON Walter Lawrence of Padworth Rectory Reading captain King's Royal Rifle Corps died 22 November 1918 at Belgrade Servian Military Hospital Belgrade Servia. Administration London 8 October to the reverend William Osbert Clinton clerk.

Walter Laurence Clinton born 18 May 1883 and baptised 20 June 1883 at Paddington St Michael & All Angels.  Son of William Osbert Clinton, clerk in Holy Orders, and his wife Margaret. 

Edit.  Eton Rolls of Honour:

http://wakefieldfhs.org.uk/genealogyjunction/Eton/Eton School Roll of Honour1.html

JP

Edited by helpjpl
Eton

Seconded! Many thanks for this - much appreciated. His exploits worthy of a book?

Kind regards,

Geoffrey