Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Can you read shorthand? Interpretation invited.

Moonraker

I would appreciate any shorthand-readers having a go at interpreting this message on a postcard sent by a soldier at a Salisbury Plain camp,  please.

shorthand.jpg.e6f7fdd85cfa2e4a2bd67fbd6e56f013.jpg

Moonraker

• 2 weeks later...

Please do! I did look at the page, but quailed at working out how to post the image - I have only the simplest of presences on Facebook.

Moonraker

I’ve posted it just there now. It might take a wee while to get an answer. They transcribed Some shorthand which was written in the back of a rather old edition of Robert Graves “Goodbye To All That.”

I have passed this on to my mother who used to teach shorthand. She is having a look to see what she can do. It will take a while, she is 91, but up to the challenge. 

Dear ....., just a final card before I leave here.  It is now Friday night, and I am too late for the post. We do not leave here until Sunday morning up at 3am, leave camp 7 o'clock and entrain at Amsbury after a ten miles March, ....... I expect to be at home about 7 o'clock at night ready to sleep.  I soon got rid of my rheumatism with the fine weather .... we have only had 2 sunny days since we came, but there has been very little rain ........... thankfully.  Glad to hear you went to PENDLETON last ....  it was kind of you to send me another pretty card as ..... to the first.  I shall lots of ....... news to tell you about camp when I return.  With kind regards, I remain your friend, Jack Jones

I hope this helps Moonraker.  Transcribed from Shorthand Writing Facebook Page by Tracey.

Keith let me know what your mum thinks. Thank you. 

Edited by Margaretnolan

Margaret, thanks for that - a speedy response as well, but I guess that I'm not the only one enduring a wet Bank Holiday indoors. Usually I'll be fed up, but have been working on the "military Wiltshire" postcards I won at auction recently (hence the number of queries I've been posting on the GWF).

One card described a comparable journey from Salisbury Plain that entailed catching a 0230 departure from Amesbury to Dorchester. (I guess it must have been a troop train at that hour.)

The shorthand writer posted his card from West Down Camp, which actually was ten miles from Amesbury Station - soldiers on the Plain were inclined to overestimate the mileage of marches. As it was June, it might have been a not unpleasant tramp to the station at that time of day, especially if one was going home.

Thanks again, Margaret - and Keith, don't deter your mum from having a go.

Moonraker

Edited by Moonraker

You are most welcome Moonraker.  Nothing like a wet bank holiday Monday to catch up!

I have added Pendleton to the above.

Margaret

Hi

My mother has finished her translation and it is indeed almost identical but I shall give it here as a further example:

Just a final ......... before I leave here. It is now Friday night, and I might be too late for the post. We do not leave here until Sunday morning - up at 3am, leave camp at 7 o'clock and after 10 miles march ...... off home.  I expect to be home about 7 at night ready for sleep. I soon get ....... I am .........when the fine weather comes. We have only had 2 sunny days since we came, but there has been rain this week. I hear you went to B.......... last Wednesday and all being well I shall meet you there next Wednesday. It was kind of you to send me a another ....... as a companion to the first. I shall have lots of ......... to tell you about camp when I return.

With Kind Regards, I remain your friend, Jack H Jones 

As I say effectively identical.

Thanks for that, Keith, and please pass on my appreciaton to your mother.

In the last few days, there have been several postcards of interest to me on eBay, but the vendors only included scans of the photographs, not the reverses. Just got oneI won in the post, and on the back is a very nice postmark of the camp in question and a few lines of chat about camp life to "Mother", and it was posted to an address about seven miles from me; what with the son's first name and the mother's surname (which presumably was his as well), there's scope for some genealogical research. All added value that the vendor never mentioned.

Moonraker