The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Michael Ryan

droberts

I have a Michael Ryan on CWGC

76155 5th Reserve Brigade RFA. Died 26/7/1916 and buried in Clonmel Co Tippereary.

I am unable to find any MIC for michael.

I suspect he was injured in France and as a result transfered to 5th Res Bde RFA. At the time of his death he must have been based in Ireland to be buried in his home town cemetry.

Any Ideas on why I have been unable to locate a MIC?

Any information on the structure of 5th Res Bde and any components in Ireland during 1916?

Thanks a lot

Dave Roberts

I did another search and somthing caught my eye.

Michael Ryan Gunner RFA but with the number 26155 instead of the 76155 that I found on CWGC.

Could this be an erro by CWGC?

Are errors Common?

Dave Roberts

Hello Dave,

you just beat me to it - I had spotted 26155 Michael Ryan vs. the 76155 version. I guess if you are transcribing that many numbers there's bound to be the occasional glitch. What's your interest in Michael Ryan?

Regards,

Liam.

Liam,

I believe that Michael was my wifes grandfather. He was with the 5th Res Bde RFA at the time of his death. I see that 5th reserve brigade were based in Athlone in 1914.

Did 5th Res Bde go to france or the UK or were they a training unit?

Did they continue to be based in Athlone throughout the war?

Micheal went to France Sept 13, 1915.

He died on the july 26, 1916 and was buried in Clonmel.

He must have been injured to have been sent home from France but not badly enough to have been discharged outright and hence attached to 5th Res bde.

He may have been hospitalised in britain or ireland.

If an irish casualty was in hospital in britain and subsequently died there, would they have sent the body back to ireland for burial. Or could the family have claimed the body and repatriated it at their own expense?

Thanks for your interest Liam.

regards

Dave Roberts

Hello Dave,

I had a quick look in "Orange, Green and Khaki", but there is no mention of the 5th Res Bde RFA. This might mean they never went overseas, but that's not certain. You could post a question in the Units/Formations section with the unit title in the question. There are a few RFA experts on the Forum.

I would guess that it would be very unlikely that the body of an other ranks man would be sent home for burial. I have a vague memory of someone here saying some officer's bodies were shipped home early in the war, but that this soon stopped.

Does the MIC give another unit for your man for his time in France?

Regards,

Liam.

Liam,

Unfortunately no other unit mentioned. I will ask the question on units and formations. I have an idea that the 5th res bde had A, B C etc additional brigades during the war, but there is no additional brigade letter for michael on the CWGC.

Thanks

David