The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Pte. George Homewood 1/R W Kent Regt

Guest NDC

I have just found this magnificent site and wonder if the regular visitors can help me, or at least point me in the right direction.

My Great-Grandfather, George Homewood, private L-7353, originally from Sevenoaks , Kent, served with the 1st Battalion Queens Own Royal West Kent Regiment and I believe sailed to France on the 7th of August 1914. I believe he saw action at Mons as his 1914-1915 Star, that I have, indicated that he served under fire as a result of the bar. My grandfather (sadly departed) remembers his Dad speaking of the Angel of Mons so I am guessing that he took part in the great retreat. At some time after this and I pressume at the first battle of Ypres my Great-grandfather was captured and spent the rest of the war in captivity. George was released shortly after the Armistice but died before his time in the 1930's, no doubt his years in captivity a contributory factor.

I have researched the history of the Royal West Kents and have details of all the POW camps in Germany / Austria. If anyone can point me in the right direction to research my family further, in particular my Great-grandfathers role in the Great War I would be extremely grateful. Thank you.

Log on to the Long Long Trail & Grandads War @ the head of this site they will take you on a Magical Mystery Tour that may answer some of your queries! ;)

Hi NDC

Your grandfathers name appears in a list of Royal West Kent POWs published in the Kentish Express and Ashford News, dated 17 April 1915.

7353 Pvt G Homewood, he was at that time a prisoner in Doberitz camp.

Regards

Steve

Harry /Steve, many thanks for your quick replies and advice. Unfortunately my Great-Grandfather does not feature in the Behind the Wire database. I have researched the 1901 census and ascertained that at that time my relative was 15 years-old and a grocers boy. His medal roll shows that he entered the theatre on the 15/8/14 and was subsequently awarded the Victory, British and 1914 Star, the clasp (12974) to which, appears to have been awarded, or granted, on the 14/4/20

I have been told from another source that a list of prisoners in German and Turkish hands in 1916 can be found at the National Archives in AIR 1/892/204/5/696-698, which indicates where the prisoner was captured and when, where he was held and his next of kin. Are you aware of these records or are they the same records as the Behind the Wire database?

Steve, many thanks for the information in respect of the Kentish Express. Have you any advice as to how I could view this publication or obtain a copy of it?

Again many thanks for your assistance. The wealth of knowledge and goodwill on this site is really quite amazing.

Hi

If you send me a personal message (via the forum) I will email you a scan of the page.

I think the AIR reference you supplied is only relevant to the RFC/RAF/RNAS as the AIR1 comprises of records of the Air Historical Branch.

Regards

Steve

Just in case you didn’t have this information.

You’ll have seen the 1891 census information, showing that your 15 year old George is the son of George (54) and Alice (40). Also resident at Bradbourne Road are Ernest (18), Ethel (14) and John (10).

Going back in time gives a good example of how peoples ages were uncertain, especially George senior!

In 1891, living at 5, Bradbourne Road, Sevenoaks are George (47), Alice (31), daughters Alice (10) and Ethel (4), and sons Ernest (8) and William (6) and John (1). I can’t find the 5 year old George.

Going back to 1881, George is shown to be 32 and Alice is 21 and they are living at 1 Portland Place, Sevenoaks. This is the home of Alfred Quinnell, a 57 year old widower and Alice’s father. The 10 month old baby Alice is also there. Alfred Quinnell is a carpenter and was also born in Sevenoaks.

I think the marriage of George Homewood and Alice Quinnell was in Sepetmber quarter of 1879, Volume 2a, Page 853.

Even further back, 1871 George was 19!! He lived at Gobland Lane, Hadlow. The family consisted of father Ruben (48) and his wife Caroline (40), and their children George, William (17), Mark (15), Luke (10), Betsy (6), Ann(4) and Rose (2).

Hope this is of some interest

Regards

Steve

Stephen,

I was aware of the 1901 census, but not the 1891, 1881 or 1871 details. Many thanks for your posting. Like I said before the knowledge and goodwill of the regulars on this site is quite remarkable.

Neil