Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

ERSATZ BAYONET WITH HANDLE OF A 98 BAYONET

zuluwar2006

Hello fellow collectors,

here IS A SPECIMEN FROM MY COLLECTION

this is an ersatz bayonet with a handle from 98 bayonet and a blade from a M 1871 bayonet.

it has also and a unit marking and flashguard.

What do you think of it???

all the best to all,

regards, Dimitrios

ERSATZ 1.jpg

ERSATZ 2.jpg

ERSATZ 3.jpg

ERSATZ 4.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Interesting! Could be a very early WW1 conversion matching what was done in Bavaria in August 1914 - having quickly discovered there were insufficient numbers of S.98 for the Gew.98 they held and on the 11th August their War Ministry ordered that the 22,360 obsolete S.69 yataghan-bladed bayonets in their armouries be modified to fit that rifle.

But note that the cross-guard has the slit on the top indicating that it has come from an S. 98/05...

How very odd!!!

3 hours ago, trajan said:

Interesting! Could be a very early WW1 conversion matching what was done in Bavaria in August 1914 - having quickly discovered there were insufficient numbers of S.98 for the Gew.98 they held and on the 11th August their War Ministry ordered that the 22,360 obsolete S.69 yataghan-bladed bayonets in their armouries be modified to fit that rifle.

But note that the cross-guard has the slit on the top indicating that it has come from an S. 98/05...

How very odd!!!

trajan,

from what part of the bayonet you will need more closer photos to examine it???

Also with Roy, we had endless discussions about this conversion.

Roy had seen 2 more similar bayonets on private collections.

11 minutes ago, zuluwar2006 said:

trajan,

from what part of the bayonet you will need more closer photos to examine it???

Also with Roy, we had endless discussions about this conversion.

Roy had seen 2 more similar bayonets on private collections.

Hi Dimitrios,

The existing photographs are fine, but what did Roy think of this? To my eyes that is pretty certainly a 98/05 cross-guard... The S.71 crss-guard was one piece structure, I think, and so it cannot be a cut-down of one of those, nor can it be from an S.98, as they did not need that slit. As you will know (others may not), the slit in the cross-guard of a 98/05 was needed to fit the cross-guard over the point of the 98/05, which is wider than the ricasso, and then slide it down to the tang area and meet the shoulder where the grips came up to the cross-guard...

1 minute ago, trajan said:

Hi Dimitrios,

The existing photographs are fine, but what did Roy think of this? To my eyes that is pretty certainly a 98/05 cross-guard... The S.71 crss-guard was one piece structure, I think, and so it cannot be a cut-down of one of those, nor can it be from an S.98, as they did not need that slit. As you will know (others may not), the slit in the cross-guard of a 98/05 was needed to fit the cross-guard over the point of the 98/05, which is wider than the ricasso, and then slide it down to the tang area and meet the shoulder where the grips came up to the cross-guard...

As and the other 2 speciments were seen with flashguards, then we have to assume that made during the war in front or second line armourers, from broken bayonets M 71???

Roy wanted to get all the details of the 3 known speciments and examine them. 

Absolutely a 98/05 handle, for sure. 

For the crossguard, a lot of discussions also, is too slim to say is an original from 98/05. 

8 minutes ago, zuluwar2006 said:

As and the other 2 speciments were seen with flashguards, then we have to assume that made during the war in front or second line armourers, from broken bayonets M 71???

Roy wanted to get all the details of the 3 known speciments and examine them. 

Absolutely a 98/05 handle, for sure. 

For the crossguard, a lot of discussions also, is too slim to say is an original from 98/05. 

Yes, agree on the flashguard issue... So post late 1915.

But note that thinner crossguards on S.98/05 are known - Carter vol 1, 36-37 talks of examples as narrow as 6 mm as opposed to official 6.5. 

Have to sign off for now - family back home.

• 4 months later...
On May 5, 2018 at 06:39, trajan said:

I somehow missed this one!?

When Trajan say Bavaria put out order to convert the 22600+ Werder Yatagan Carbine bayonets for Gew.98. ...69/98 Who knows what happenedRegular and modified for  Gew88 rifle are common now,yet an actual 69/98 is one the most rare Great War bayonets there is. The 60/71/98 Fusilier is rare and expensive.

Yet the S.71 bayonet was and is fairly common. So any 71/98 conversion should have a lot more out there. I saw ad for one maybe a year ago when I no have the money to but. Pretty crazy out there . Great piece and great job there D'!