The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Victoria Barracks, Ballincollig, Cork

Trying to find out which regiments were stationed here prior to and during WW1.  My Grandfather John O'Neill listed the barracks as his address on his marriage certificate.  

He moved to Wales and during the war he served with the Leinster Regiment.

I don't have any information on the barracks so not sure if his family lived there.

Appreciate any help

glucke

HI glucke

Welcome to the Forum.

What was the date of the marriage?

The 1911 Census records a Private with the Highland Light Infantry with the initials J. O., no names are given, at Victoria Barracks. Aged 22.

The 2nd Battalion HLI were stationed in Cork 1910-12 prior to moving to Mullingar

Dave

Edited by HERITAGE PLUS
Typo correction

F Company 2nd Battalion HLI at Victoria Barracks dated 1912.

5ad7ab3544328_2HLI1914AldershotFCo.jpg.28277f0e8a43099d1a14878b0e7b3a33.jpg

As a matter of interest are you sure the Barracks in Ballincollig was called Victoria barracks? 

I know there was a Victoria barracks in Cork city and a separate artillery barracks 9km away in Ballincollig, but I was not aware that the Ballincollig barracks also went under the name of Victoria barracks. 

If your interest is in Ballincollig you may find this site interesting:

https://www.ireland.anglican.org/news/7344/ballincollig-military-men-their-families

If it was Victoria barracks Cork city you were referring to, you may be interested to know there was strong connections with the Leinster regiment (your grandfathers regiment). The 2nd Battallion were based in Victoria barracks from 1911 to Sep 1914. On the departure the 2nd battalion , the 3rd Battalion of the Leinster regiment was based in Victoria barracks for most of the war period. 

You did t say what year your grandfather married? Do you know his service number?