The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Cap Badge ID Help

JOVE23

Hello all,

This man is a relative of a friend, surnamed Maslin or Maslen. Curious if any pals can nail down a regiment. Thanks!

Great Unc Maslen.png

4b837d30677627b110937920c92a4d6e.png

Manchester’s ?

There is one Maslin and no Maslen soldiers in the Manchester's with a MIC

202202 Private George E Maslin

medal roll has George Ernest Maslin 2/5th Manchester

Peter

Cambridgeshire Regiment I'd say

Chris

220px-Cambridgeshire_Regiment_Cap_Badge.jpg

I don‘t think its Manchesters, the dip in the scroll is too pronounced and there do not appear to be any returns on the scroll.

Charlie

Charlie, I have my doubts also hence the question mark in my previous post. I also have doubts about the Cambridgeshire suggestion, the soldiers badge doesn’t look pointy enough

Simon

The camera flash makes badges seem wider than normal, the scroll and general shape seems right to me for Cambs Regt.

If you zoom in you can just make out the slopes on the castle wall as it were.

Chris

My immediate thought was Cambridgeshires, I must say.

I think Cambridgeshire Regt too.

The chap’s name would be helpful. Cannot find anyone in Cambs with a relevant surname.

Hi all, I Am the relative of the individual in this photo, it's been hard to identify what his exact name was, I found this photo in my Grandparents house not long after the death of my grandfather, my father said he had seen the photo before and claimed that it's was my Grandfathers, Mothers Brother. The name William Maslin is written on the back but with a big ? So no one has been 100% sure of his identification, without paying money to dig through ancestory websites. I'd love to find out more about him. I notice he has two overseas stripes on us left sleeve and a good conduct merit on the right, does having two overseas stripes potentially mean he could have been a second Boer war vet too? 

Rehards

Tom 

Welcome. Manchesters have potential options. Cambs do not. Does the family have Lancs connections?

My Great Grandfather and his wife have connections to Southampton / Hampshire but I Suppose it's possible her brother may have moved / had connections up north I don't know much about her side of the family need to dig deeper. 

The Cambridgeshire Regt were Territorials, citizen soldiers of the auxiliary forces.

Given that he has a Good Conduct badge, to which (I think) Territorials weren't entitled pre-war, he must have had a couple of years' embodied wartime service, so there's no need to have a Cambridge connection

Is it just me, or do both images look squashed? I have adjusted both, maybe Teebs can tell us which look more like the actual photo.

While it does look a bit like a Manchester badge to me, I don't think it is. Even looking at Manchester badges that are slightly out of focus, there is much more "body" to a Manchesters, and the scroll at the bottom just isn't right.

adjusted1.png.85dcd1cfead17da5052369fa85cfff42.png

adjusted2.png.e14630523d7ce53285857ceaed5702f8.png

20 hours ago, JOVE23 said:

Hello all,

This man is a relative of a friend, surnamed Maslin or Maslen. Curious if any pals can nail down a regiment. Thanks!

Great Unc Maslen.png

4b837d30677627b110937920c92a4d6e.png

200px-ManchestersCapBadgeWWI.jpghere is the Manchester's badge, what do people think?

Chris

I do not think it is Manchester’s.  Cambridgeshire is still favourite for me, and the badge is clearly a castle based on the Insignia variations I have become familiar with.  The only other stand alone castle shape that I can think of in WW1 is a Yeomanry Regiment, the Royal Suffolk Hussars, and that has only two turrets.

Edited by FROGSMILE

Loyal Suffolk Hussars

4 hours ago, Steven Broomfield said:

Loyal Suffolk Hussars

Yes, they’re the blighters, Steven.

Edited by FROGSMILE

;)

@Keith Brannen Your adjustments make it look more like the original photo, I’ve been trying to do some more digging through the memories left by one of my great grandads daughters, I know my great grandmother was a Nellie Maslin / Maslen and it is believed the gentleman in this photo is her brother 

On the other hand I’ve just been speaking to my mother and father and there is a possibility that this could actually be a young Nellie in the photo, as she married my Great grandfather quite late on, She gave birth to my Grandad when she was 40, and my great Grandfather was 60 at the time, therefore this gentleman in the photo could have been her first marriage and maybe she didn’t adopt back her maiden name if she became widowed. Just another possibility though! 

Edited by Teebs

I concede defeat on the Manchester’s theory.

At risk of throwing another red herring in, how about the 3 towered castle favoured by the Inniskillings?

Simon

25 minutes ago, mancpal said:

I concede defeat on the Manchester’s theory.

At risk of throwing another red herring in, how about the 3 towered castle favoured by the Inniskillings?

Simon

That was a later, WW2 cap badge, after a 1922 merger, Simon, not the one that they used during WW1, although it was used as a regimental arm badge, a type of Insignia common in the cavalry.

Edited by FROGSMILE