The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Cap Badge ID Help

JOVE23

Oh well !

not only the wrong regiment, the wrong war. Good job I didn’t sign up. 

Simon

35 minutes ago, mancpal said:

Oh well !

not only the wrong regiment, the wrong war. Good job I didn’t sign up. 

Simon

Yes it can get confusing, Simon, but over the years I’ve found that the more you frequent the forum the more you learn.

3 hours ago, FROGSMILE said:

That was a later, WW2 cap badge, after a 1922 merger, Simon, not the one that they used during WW1, although it was used as a regimental arm badge, a type of Insignia common in the cavalry.

I hate to argue with an expert, but surely the Inniskllings castle was the 6th (Inniskilling) Dragoon Guards (and therefore GW), whereas the amalgamated (post-1922) regiment was the 5th Royal Inniskilling Dragoon Guards, with the VDG badge?

(I don't think it's the Inniskilling's badge anyway).

28 minutes ago, Steven Broomfield said:

No flag on the castle either.

1 hour ago, Steven Broomfield said:

I hate to argue with an expert, but surely the Inniskllings castle was the 6th (Inniskilling) Dragoon Guards (and therefore GW), whereas the amalgamated (post-1922) regiment was the 5th Royal Inniskilling Dragoon Guards, with the VDG badge?

I think you are right Steven, and thus Simon was too, mea culpa.  I’m an enthusiast, but not an expert and it’s good for the soul to be hoist by one’s own petard occasionally.

Ergo, Simon was correct that the Inniskilling DG wore the castle in WW1, albeit we are agreed that the subject of this thread is not wearing that badge.

Edited by FROGSMILE

Frogsmile,

”the more you consult the forum the more you learn”.

Perhaps you have more available time to “consult”. I am a working single parent (recently widowed) bringing up my school age son. I’d love more time to “consult”

simon

3 hours ago, mancpal said:

Frogsmile,

”the more you consult the forum the more you learn”.

Perhaps you have more available time to “consult”. I am a working single parent (recently widowed) bringing up my school age son. I’d love more time to “consult”

simon

It wasn’t meant to be a pointed remark Simon, my intent was merely to encourage you.  I realise that everyone’s circumstances are different.

13 hours ago, Teebs said:

@Keith Brannen Your adjustments make it look more like the original photo, I’ve been trying to do some more digging through the memories left by one of my great grandads daughters, I know my great grandmother was a Nellie Maslin / Maslen and it is believed the gentleman in this photo is her brother 

Is there any way you can get a sharper/clearer and larger scan of just the cap badge? As you can tell, we are having trouble identifying it, and any extra detail in the image would help.

@JOVE23 has been doing some genealogy digging for me (he's very good!) and we've basically found out a lot more information on the family, I will post his findings below in the hope to also shed some light also on the cap badge. 

So first things first, the maiden name of my great grandmother was Nellie Louisa Maslen, she had four brothers, William Henry Maslen, Charles Henry Maslen, Frederick George Maslen, & Percy Maslen. We found out all four of which served during World War One. 

First two files attached show medal orders for William Henry Maslen indicating he was in the Royal Army Service Corps, and a medical report, he contracted Malaria in Salominka in Nov 1916 and after hospital treatment in both Malta and the UK returned to Duty in France until the end of the war.

Picture three shows some form of discharge record for Charles Henry Maslen. 

Picture four shows an article from a Southampton Newspaper, with information on Frederick George and Percy Maslen's service during the War.

Finally picture five from the same newspaper article with service information on William H. Maslen.

I believe that the gentleman in the photo is William Henry Maslen, but without any good photos of all of them (I only have one of Charles later on in life) it's difficult to say which one it is. However in regards to the cap badge, now knowing that William served in the R.A.S.C is it possible that his cap badge is in fact. that of the General Service Corps and the picture was taken before he was drafted to the R.A.S.C? 

https://www.the-saleroom.com/en-us/auction-catalogues/james-and-son-auctioneers/catalogue-id-srjam10062/lot-5f1d7262-eecb-4239-8d0c-a56f00d90bf0 

Kind Regards 

Tom 

William H Maslen Medal Orders.jpg

William H Maslen Medical Report (Malaria Solonika).png

Chales Henry Maslen Service Record.png

Frederick George and Percy Maslen Newspaper Article.png

William H Maslen Southampton newspaper article.png

1 hour ago, Teebs said:

@JOVE23 has been doing some genealogy digging for me (he's very good!) and we've basically found out a lot more information on the family, I will post his findings below in the hope to also shed some light also on the cap badge. 

So first things first, the maiden name of my great grandmother was Nellie Louisa Maslen, she had four brothers, William Henry Maslen, Charles Henry Maslen, Frederick George Maslen, & Percy Maslen. We found out all four of which served during World War One. 

First two files attached show medal orders for William Henry Maslen indicating he was in the Royal Army Service Corps, and a medical report, he contracted Malaria in Salominka in Nov 1916 and after hospital treatment in both Malta and the UK returned to Duty in France until the end of the war.

Picture three shows some form of discharge record for Charles Henry Maslen. 

Picture four shows an article from a Southampton Newspaper, with information on Frederick George and Percy Maslen's service during the War.

Finally picture five from the same newspaper article with service information on William H. Maslen.

I believe that the gentleman in the photo is William Henry Maslen, but without any good photos of all of them (I only have one of Charles later on in life) it's difficult to say which one it is. However in regards to the cap badge, now knowing that William served in the R.A.S.C is it possible that his cap badge is in fact. that of the General Service Corps and the picture was taken before he was drafted to the R.A.S.C? 

https://www.the-saleroom.com/en-us/auction-catalogues/james-and-son-auctioneers/catalogue-id-srjam10062/lot-5f1d7262-eecb-4239-8d0c-a56f00d90bf0 

Kind Regards 

Tom 

Are you sure the name is William Henry Maslen, and not William A. Maslen? The newspaper article (image 5) is for a W.A. Maslen. Interestingly, there is both a William A. and a William H. who both served in the R.A.S.C. Your first image is the Roll listing for Charles Henry, not for a William Henry (last name first, then the given name).

Anyhow, in your original photo the man has two overseas chevrons on his right sleeve. Since the Overseas Service Chevron was created in December 1917, the picture has to be after that date. Without know his exact dates abroad, but based on his getting malaria and the dates listed in medical report, it could be him, if home on leave from France.

However, the cap badge is definitely not R.A.S.C., so unless he transferred to somewhere else, then it may not be him.

Is there a possibility it could be the General Service Corps badge still?

I did not know that about the roll listing do thank you, he could have been William A Maslen, I will double check that information.

It does state in the newspaper article that Percy also served in Mesopatonia  and Palestine, therefore given the overseers stripes it’s going to either be William or Percy in the photo   

Edited by Teebs

I'm still going with Cambridgeshire Regiment.

Chris

C758-768x768.JPG

0082-000-580-IWW.jpg

0aayzhghjgfjhf9999990_6.jpg

4b837d30677627b110937920c92a4d6e.png.cbf55002707609cda429a84eaba4382d.png

1 hour ago, Teebs said:

Is there a possibility it could be the General Service Corps badge still?

I did not know that about the roll listing do thank you, he could have been William A Maslen, I will double check that information.

It does state in the newspaper article that Percy also served in Mesopatonia  and Palestine, therefore given the overseers stripes it’s going to either be William or Percy in the photo   

All four brothers served overseas, so would have the chevrons. However, both Frederick George and Percy were wounded (don't know about Charles Henry), and I would expect to see a wound stripe on their left arm if it was either of them.

As far as the General Service Corps badge, I would expect the badge not to  look as solid as it does. Again, if you could get a re-scan of the image, it would help.

1 hour ago, Dragoon said:

I'm still going with Cambridgeshire Regiment.

Chris

0aayzhghjgfjhf9999990_6.jpg

Yes, it certainly seems to be the most likely candidate to me, as well, unless we get a re-scan of the image, and more detail!

My first thought was Cambridgeshire Regt. then 6th Inniskilling Dragoons, but the individual is not dressed as either a Cavalry or Yeomanry man. Dare I say a Trooper in either would look a lot smarter. There were 'Home Service' units that wore County Regimental cap badges.

Tony P

I feel that Chris has been correct from the outset that the badge is the Cambridgeshire Regt.  I’m rather surprised that there is still any doubt, the distinct shape seems clear and sufficiently different from the other suggestions for there to be no further doubt.

Edited by FROGSMILE

@FROGSMILE After studying the cambridgeshire badge, from what people are suggesting on this thread. I would also agree. However I believe it is the fact that the service records (posted above) I pulled up yesterday on the Maslen brothers (My great uncles) suggest that they were R.A.S.C, Royal Fusiliers and Hampshire Regiment. I haven't been able to find any information thus far that indicates one of them being transferred to the Cambridgeshire regiment. However I don't have much information on Charles Henry Maslen I will keep looking. 

Edited by Teebs

These chaps are defiantly Cambs Regt, similar quality photo, badge below right looks exactly the same.

Sidney_George_Haydencrr.png4b837d30677627b110937920c92a4d6e.png.cbf55002707609cda429a84eaba4382d.png.899c5ea23f2a5b7a7a2b7e8f3f11c342.png