The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

The Archers: Exemptions from Service

rolt968

With apologies.

I gave up listening to the Archers a couple of years ago in the middle of the last attempt to make it more exciting.

I came across one of the Archers books today and it reminded me of something.

I think I remember that many years ago there was a brief sub plot in which Joe Grundy was very bitter because his father had not been given an exemption in WW1 while Dan Archer had.  Can anyone else remember this?

RM

In this synopsis (CLICK) of a 1988 prequel play it is implied that Dan, who  had enlisted in 1914, had returned   to Ambridge early to take over running the farm on the sudden death of his father in 1916. In the real world, were there provisions for an early discharge  in this type of situation?  This also raises the question of what subsequently happened to the shell shocked Ben and the 'conscie', Frank post war...

NigelS

7 hours ago, NigelS said:

In this synopsis (CLICK) of a 1988 prequel play it is implied that Dan, who  had enlisted in 1914, had returned   to Ambridge early to take over running the farm on the sudden death of his father in 1916. In the real world, were there provisions for an early discharge  in this type of situation?  This also raises the question of what subsequently happened to the shell shocked Ben and the 'conscie', Frank post war...

NigelS

Thank you, Nigel.

I didn't know about that. (Holly Aird as a young Doris, too.) No Grundys in it though.

RM