The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Cap badge identification please

Skipman

3rd County of London Yeomanry (Sharpshooters) TF, post 1910.

Edited by FROGSMILE

On 25/04/2018 at 22:03, FROGSMILE said:

3rd County of London Yeomanry (Sharpshooters) TF, post 1910.

I will stand corrected if wrong, but isn't it a 3rd CLY Pre 1910 cap badge?

Chris

16 hours ago, Dragoon said:

I will stand corrected if wrong, but isn't it a 3rd CLY Pre 1910 cap badge?

Chris

Apparently the pre-1910 badge design did not utilise the crossed carbines, Chris.  It was rather unimaginative with the letters SS on a circular central ground, surrounded by a crowned laurel wreath.

Edited by FROGSMILE

6 minutes ago, FROGSMILE said:

Apparently the pre-1910 badge design did not utilise the crossed carbines, Chris.  It was rather unimaginative with the letters SS on a circular central ground, surrounded by a crowned laurel wreath.

Ahh, I know the one FROGSMILE, I did think though the circle badge with crossed rifles , sharpshooters scroll and 3 in the middle was the first badge? Which one is this that the chap is wearing?

Chris

4 minutes ago, Dragoon said:

Ahh, I know the one FROGSMILE, I did think though the circle badge with crossed rifles , sharpshooters scroll and 3 in the middle was the first badge? Which one is this that the chap is wearing?

Chris

It is apparently the post 1910 version Chris, as per my original post.  Wilkinson book on Yeomanry badges refers.  The date fits with WW1 uniform too.

Edited by FROGSMILE

8 minutes ago, FROGSMILE said:

It is apparently the post 1910 version Chris, as per my original post.  Wilkinson book on Yeomanry badges refers.  The date fits with WW1 uniform too.

Thank you FROGSMILE, when did the circle and 3 badge come out please?

37 minutes ago, Dragoon said:

Thank you FROGSMILE, when did the circle and 3 badge come out please?

I’m out and about Chris and don’t have reference material to hand.  The regiment concerned adopted a variety of designs for its badge over the years and was even duplicated for a while during WW2 with the duplicate regiment wearing a similar badge but bearing a 4 instead of 3.  After WW2 it was amalgamated with Kent Yeomanry.  It might be that during the course of WW1 both the badge shown and that with the 3 was worn during different periods. I will report back once I can check it.  

NB.  It might also be a field cap badge with the other design intended (but not always used with) the coloured forage cap.

Edited by FROGSMILE

Cheers FROGSMILE, appreciated, speak to you soon.

Chris

I think you will find the SS was used by the early Imperial Yeomanry badge.

The badge shown was worn 1901-c.1910 as a cap and collar.  With the shoulder title in post 1 being T it is definitely post 1908.

By 1910 the CLY badge was in use as shown here:

http://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36677&highlight=sharpshooters

Note the badge is still worn as a collar by one individual where as some have the new design.

ss.jpg

Edited by max7474

Many thanks for the info max7474, greatly appreciated.

Cracking photograph as well

Cheers

Chris

The large SS badge is often seen on slouch hats much favoured by the Volunteers with post-Boer war fashion.  The collar was worn on the smaller side cap and was in turn worn when the peaked cap was adopted mid decade.    As ever with the volunteers there was some overlap in wear and lack of uniformity!

Edited by max7474

That makes sense to me as there is some suggestion that the crossed carbines was a field service cap badge (utilised from collars) that then seems to have been worn on the SD cap.

I've a photo of the Yorkshire Dragoons in 1915, some have the black rose and crown, some the brass, and some the blues walking out dress QO entwined white metal collar badge on their caps!

Chris

24 minutes ago, max7474 said:

Blues No1 Dress in 1915?  That's something new.

I think that Chris is referring to the other ranks blue patrols worn by some units from the late 1890s onwards.  Invariably chest pockets only and for some time referred to in the cavalry as blue jumpers.

Edited by FROGSMILE

Blue patrols, thank you for the correction FROGSMILE. :)

Chris