The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Books on Britısh Uniforms of WW1

micks

Hı all

İ am looking to purchase a few books on British buttons, equıpment and uniforms from the Fırst World War.

Does anybody have any recommendations ?

Mick

Hi Mick

I have found the following two books very useful for research purposes - 

1) Uniforms & Equipment of the British Army in World War 1 by Stephen J. Chambers (Schiffer Publishing LTD ISBN  0 - 7643 - 2154 - 4) A large and relatively expensive publication. The book features over 600 black and white period photographs - most comprehensive.

2) British Army Cap Badges of the First World War by Peter Doyle and Chris Foster (Shire Publications ISBN  978 - 0 - 74780 - 1) Provides invaluable information and features both black and white and colour photos.

Stephen

There are a few books in the Osprey Men-at-Arms series, by Mike Chappell among others.

A History of the Regiments and Uniforms of the British Army by Major R Money Barnes covers the whole period since 1660. If you can find an inexpensive copy it provides a useful background. The same author's The British Army of 1914 is also worth a look.

There is also a magisterial work on cap and other badges by Kipling and King, in two volumes, but it is difficult to find at a reasonable price. You could try your local library.

Ron

To Steve and Ron 

Thank you for taking the time to respond and include your recommendations.

I have recorded these titles and I will look into purchasing some of these books.

All the best

Mick