The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

MG Team composition

DrB

This is a cross between hardware and military units, so it may be in the wrong site.

Question: Much reading regarding the UK and Commonwealth forces in the Great One, with mentions of MG crews, but alas, no details.

Does someone out there have the given TO of a machine gun crew for both the Lewis gun and the Vickers?

This comes from an old "belt-fed idiot" of the USMC with a MOS (Military Occupation Specialty) of 0331, or machine gunner. (Prior to deciding that being a machine gunner was not exactly a career-enhancing position and would dazzle no one reading my resume)

Thanks for your replies.

DrB

:huh:

Alas I gave away my copy of the Vickers MG training manual dated 1916. My memory serves to remind me that there were the following on a Vickers.

Gunner

Belt Feeder

Sect Commander

Gun numbers (read ammo carriers) X 2.

The book was fascinating reading as it actually laid down the drills etc for the MG teams, ie, where everyone stood, what commands were given, what the scale of equipment issue was etc.

One interesting point was the training of the gunner to 'tap' on the breech of the gun while firing to make the gun swivel across its fixed left and right of arc. It made it clear that this was an art that could be attained only through carefull practice.

It also showed how to load mules correctly with the MG equipment.

As for the chap I gave it too, he has always coveted a Vickers (he already has a Boyes Anti tank rifle, so it's only a matter of time), and I said that I would be happy to form the nucleus of a reenactment group. (NZ TF circa 1930's) I sort of think of it as getting my dibs in.