The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

The Living Unknown Soldier

burlington

By Jean-Yves Le Naour, it is a true account of a French WW1 amnesiac, Anthelme Mangin.

The book, which was reviewed in the Sunday Times a week ago, illustrates the heartbreak of those who lost their loved ones and the straws people will clutch at in a vain hope of finding them.

Mangin died in 1942 and in between 1918, when he was shipped home and committed to an asylum, and the 1930's there were many attempts by the bereaved to identify him as their own. All to no avail.

Really, the book seems to be an essay and an analysis in to grief and longing.

Anyway, anyone read it?

Martin

I saw this book in the store a few months back and posted a similar question. I got a few replies, but IIRC not many had read it then. Hopefully some other pals have picked the book up in the mean time. Andy

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

I finished this book the other day after it looked at me in the library. Personaly I found it an evocative account of post war France with a clear and fluid descriptive style of peoples reactions to ther loved ones being posted as missing.

The descriptions of the years of searching by families was especialy compelling and also described a period of history that few of us would have any experience of.

We can look back at the war today with the benefit of hindsight, but we tend to neglect the huge impact it had on the parents of missing soldiers right up until their own deaths.

I have since passed it around the office to another person and demanded she read it.

Guest karequah

I haven't yet, but it is on the list (as time/money allow). Post and let us know what you think of it!

Best,

Dan

I posted on this book sometime ago. As has all ready been mentioned , it is a moving story but one that goes far beyond the story of one individual. It illustrates quite clearly how important closure is to the families of the missing and. Families from other nations also came forward to claim "Mangin" as their own and I have no doubt that many others always lived in hope that somehow, a missing relative would somehow turn up.

Terry Reeves

I posted on this book sometime ago. As has all ready been mentioned , it is a moving story but one that goes far beyond the story of one individual. It illustrates quite clearly how important closure is to the families of the missing and. Families from other nations also came forward to claim "Mangin" as their own and I have no doubt that many others always lived in hope that somehow, a missing relative would somehow turn up.

Terry Reeves

The earlier thread is here:

http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/i...=0entry264592

I found it very moving, and topical too given the recent events in London with a number of people still missing.

Robbie

• 6 years later...

Just picked up a copy of this in my local Thrift store today, and while I am still in the middle of reading it, so far it is gripping.

-Daniel

I didn't really READ it ... I devoured it ... like in two days, including time for hamster and horse ...

Read it in French and took some notes (also in French)... for those who are interested, I can send it to you (too big to be attached here)

also interesting to know: in february this year, a comic of the book has appeared, (drawings by Mauro Lirussi).

Here the first page from http://www.sceneario.com/bd_17334.html

post-84394-0-66761800-1331659396.jpg

Hi

Its well worth reading. Its a sad story but demonstrates how that title "missing" must have meant lack of closure and years of pain for so many families.

James

• 1 month later...

I bought the comic this WE (see entry 9)

It's all black and white, the drawing is poignant. Very good !! It gives the whole story this dark and desperate tone.

Le Naour sticks to the story he tells in the book, although he adds some stuff from his other books. For example, it's been said that the name "Anthelme Mangin - Vichy" was something that the amnesiac muttered under his breath, completely unaware of what he was saying.

In the comic, the first doctors get it out of him by electrocution. this is a reference to one of Le Naour's other book: Les Soldats de la Honte.

But overall, it's definitly worth reading and having.

I'm not sure you'll find a translation, though.

Regards,

Marilyne