The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Lucas brothers

Guest Peter Davison

Guest Peter Davison

I am searching for information about my grandfather aand his brothers. He was Frank Lucas ,he went to war with his older brothers Percy and Harry. They came from the hamlet of Three Leg Cross ,Ticehurst East Sussex.All I know is that they all returned home well.My great grandmother recieved a letter from the Queen regarding the safe return of all her sons and a plaque was placed in the parish church honoring the event. I do not know what regiments they were in or if any medals were issued.The letter from the Queen was lost during the last war in the blitz .Grandad was a special constable that time around.Hope some one can help Regards Peter..

Peter,

Can't help you with your query I'm afraid. But just wondering if you know whether your LUCAS family has any old connection with Pagham & surrounding areas in West Sussex.

Cheers, Frev

Peter

The 1901 census shows that the three sons of Henry and Jane Lucas of Three Legged Cross were Albert (15), Percy (10) and Frank (2). No mention of Harry, though. Would this have been a family name for Albert?

Steve

Peter/Steve

There is a 19 year old Harry Lucas registered in the Ticehurst district as the other Lucas family. He was born in Stapley, Sussex and had occupation of Carpenter.

Myrtle

I went back to the 1891 and found two older brothers, Henry (9) and William (7), but still no brother Harry, as Peter states in his original post. Perhaps it's a cousin, not a brother?

In 1891, the family address was "Cold Harbour", Ticehurst.

Steve

I went back to the 1891 and found two older brothers, Henry (9) and William (7), but still no brother Harry.

Steve

Steve

Harry is the name used instead of Henry. As their father was Henry it would not have been unusual for the eldest boy to be named after him and that would then mean that the son would have been referred to as Harry so that there wasn't any confusion. So the 9 year old Henry in 1891 would probably be the same as Harry 19 years old in 1901.

Myrtle

Myrtle

Right, I had thought that at one point.

It makes sense, doesn't it? Give your child one name than call them by another. I thought it was only the royals who did that ;)

Steve

I thought it was only the royals who did that  ;) 

Steve

Here is an example of a man who was christened Henry but was known as Harry. As far as I know he was not a member of the Royal Family although I don't have any evidence that he wasn't descended from the Welsh princes. ;)

Lt. Henry (Harry) L. Bacon

H.M.S. Raglan

KiA when the Raglan was hit by a shell from the "Goeben."

20th January 1918

Harry Bacon's four brothers also served in WW1. They returned.

Harry is commemorated on the Rhayader War Memorial.

Myrtle

Thankyou for all the replys,I have since found out that Albert was called Henry by the family not sure why.Regards Peter.

I've heard of Alberts being called Bert - but Henry ! :blink:

Maybe Albert was his middle name.