The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Desperate - East Surrey Regiment 13 Bn. ?

Guest wade1972

Hello,

My great-grandfather served in the East Surrey Regiment (13th Bn.) in World War One and was killed in November 1917 in the Battle Of Cambrai.

His name was Albert Edward Bance and his number was 230.

My family is searching for anything we can find about this particular Bn. and we are looking esp. for any photos that may exist of them - in fact any "group photos" of them. We do not have any pictures of my great-grandfather, and we do not know what he looks like but we would love to get anything we could about him. A picture would be amazing, but it is doubtful, but we'd be willing to see even a group picture.

I know there is a musuem that may be able to help me, but I have written them and haven't gotten a reply about my inquiries.

Does anyone here have any suggestions and how I can go about getting any pictures, documents?

Thanks in advance,

Wade

Hi Wade

How long ago did you write to the museum?

Be a little patient mate, you will get a reply they are more than helpful usually.

Did you know they had a website?

Here is a link just incase.

http://www.queensroyalsurreys.org.uk/

The museum doesn't however hold personal records, but are very helpful in other matters, they may just have a Btn photo that your Gt Grandad may be in.

Good luck

Mark

Hi,

I emailed them last week and I guess I have to learn a bit of patience. :) It's just that I'm really interested in getting a group photo of them so I can show it to my grandfather..and it's also a matter that just interests me deeply. I have started to really get into World War One over the last year (I'm also a WW2 junkie) and the more I read and see, it just amazes me and horrifies me...and to know a relative when through that is something else.

I will try to be patient. :)

Thanks a lot,

Wade

the more I read and see, it just amazes me and horrifies me...

Welcome to the Great War Forum.

It took them a couple of weeks to reply to my request, if I remember rightly.

The reply I got however was extremely helpful and detailed, well worth the wait.

Mark.

Hi,

Will the museum make copies for you and mail them to you? Do they charge a basic fee for each copy, or do you make a donation? I'm willing to pay for the pictures, that's no problem...I would love to visit there, but that won't be a possibility for a very long time. :(

Wade