The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Royal Army Service Corps

heatherannej

Hello again,

In addition to all the help which I received a few days ago - can someone point me in the right direction again re "my" Alexander Petrie? I have taken advice but found the National Archives site to be a complete maze ....... I am sure it is me though! I assumed that a Service Record on-line purchase would be as simple as the purchase of the Medal Card (copy previously posted) but I just cannot get anywhere. I was helped with the important link there, of course .... I probably would never have been capable of doing that either! I stumble from one avenue to another - ever hopeful - but I am completely lost. Please take pity on me somebody?

Heather

I think your find that service records are only available to view at the NA and not online yet.

Is the information on the Medal Card enough to restrict the NA fee :-( to £60 or are we talking about even more money?

Regards Heather

Heather,

If going to the NA personally then the search for a soldier's record need cost you no more than your time. If the search is successful then there is however a fee for copying the record from the microfilm, either 20p or 25p per sheet of paper, depending on how you pay. You ought to get change out of £5. It is only if employing a professional researcher that the costs escalate.

Regards

Steve

Thanks for the help ...... it wasn't just me then!! I was looking for a link which didn't exist. I shall have to take my chances with a fee or postpone things for a while because there is no way I can get down to the NA, especially now with another op pending. At least I know the score now .......... thanks again for the help you two.

Regards Heather