The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Royal Sussex Regiment 9th Battalion

Mercian Volunteer

Can any Royal Sussex Regiment expert please advise what action took place on the 25th to the 29th of September 1915 at Loos in regard to the 9th battalion. They took over 120 fatalities between these dates.

I am researching Private Alfred Helme who died of wounds on the 28th Sept 1915 on behalve of a relative of his.

He was a Boer war verteran from Manchester and re-enlisted in 1914. He was in his middle forties when he died. The only info I have is from the CWGC and the SDCD.

The position that the 73rd Brigade found themselves in over the period 26th - 28th September 1915 whilst defending the perimeter around Fosse 8 was nearly impossible. they were a raw brigade and I don't believe that they had actually ever been in the trenches before. The 73rd OC Brigadier-General Oswald cracked under the pressure and was replaced by Jelf.

If you send me your email address via PM I will send you some scans of a couple of sections of books written by Rawson and Warner. I am not at home at the moment but will be back tommorrow night (Friday).

Andy