The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Civil Servants - awards for valour

kerry

Dear All,

does anyone know of any Civil Servants who left safe Whitehall jobs to join the PWO Civil Service Rifles Regt (not exactly sure of the correct designation) or who joined other regiments, and were awarded decorations for valour during WW1?

Many thanks

Kerry

Yes!

{In answer to your query!}

The PWO Civil Service Rifles "Won" many Awards for Gallantry,A Nominal Roll Of Those who Served in the Regiment Appears in the Regimental History & A Roll of those who won Awards including Foreign Decorations & Medals & Mentioned In Despatches;Awarded;

DSO: 5 & 2 Bars{Both to Lt Col;Segrave[DSO Awarded Previously]

MC: 43 & 4/5 Bars

Other Decorations: 10 Names[OBE,L de H; Croix de G;Ordre du Merite;MBE;Russian Decs,Etc;]

MiD:approx 50

Other Ranks Awards

DCM: 33

MM: 3 Pages

Other{Foreign for O/Rs}1 page

MiD: O/Rs 25

Brought to Notice for Distinguished Conduct & Gallantry in Field: 3

So as you can see there are quite a few![A Number are depicted in the Book on Plates.

I believe the History has just recently been Re~Published{Mine is an Original 1921 Edition}So would suggest that you avail yourself of a copy ,via your Lending Library,or Hammer the Credit Card for one! ;)

I have seen (I think its called) 'A History of the Civil Service Rifles - All Bl!!dy Gentlemen' which has just been published by Pen & Sword so info on their web site. A new book as far as I know written by a serving civil servant. Not sure of any medal coverage...

Bernard

In that Case I suggest requesting a British Library Loan,via your local Library{Probably only for Reference}of the Original,

" The History Of The Prince Of Wales Own Civil Service Rifles" Published by Headquarters Somerset House London 1921.