The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

mystery badge

Family Sercher

• Admin

What is you want to know? It isn't a military badge, but a souvenir badge with the name of the town Lens on it. It looks as if it's been made by adding the arms onto the hops and then the town name is possibly copper. A nice piece. 

Michelle 

2 hours ago, Michelle Young said:

What is you want to know? It isn't a military badge, but a souvenir badge with the name of the town Lens on it. It looks as if it's been made by adding the arms onto the hops and then the town name is possibly copper. A nice piece. 

Michelle 

Hi Michelle .

Thank you for the information .Think it will now start a new set of family questions as it was supposed to belong to a Great uncle who served in WW1 in the engineers (i have only my mothers information to go on and this was from my fathers side ) but thank you ,will have to do more research .

9 minutes ago, Family Sercher said:

Hi Michelle .

Thank you for the information .Think it will now start a new set of family questions as it was supposed to belong to a Great uncle who served in WW1 in the engineers (i have only my mothers information to go on and this was from my fathers side ) but thank you ,will have to do more research .

If you can give his name, d.o.b etc we might be able to find something.

Craig

2 hours ago, Family Sercher said:

Hi Michelle .

It’s quite possible that the brooch was obtained by your great uncle as a souvenir during WW1.

One thing that seemingly has missed attention is the "Queen's Crown", so it may well have its origins in an obsolete Victorian badge. It's a nice unusual thing.

Mike

Thank you everyone for your help so far .Unfortunately my Father was the last in that side of the family and he died nearly 2 years ago  ,what they did in either war is a mystery to us  although both my Grandfather and Father and Uncle had reserved occupations as far as we can tell and rumour has it Grandfather worked on the dam busters project in the engineering department, my mother has very limited information ,also my family tree does not have any sidney or sydneys at all ! 

Badges such as these were popular souvenirs too send home during the First World War. I have one with Ypres and one with Arras on. I read that they were used as a way of getting around the censor by letting the folks back home know roughly where you were or had been serving. Not sure how accurate this is but it seems logical.