The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Change of Regiments

Piscator

I've seen some mention that members of one Regiment have been transfered to another Regiment, I know this happened if someone was downgraded thro. injury or illness, but this was, I understand usually to a Labour Bn or similar.

The person I'm researching at the moment was in the Welsh Regiment and then appears to have moved to the Yorkshire Regiment, no mention is made of labour Bns. The question is :- were any of the Welsh Reg. Bn's dispersed through war attrition or could this have been an isolated case.

Len

The person I'm researching at the moment was in the Welsh Regiment and then appears to have moved to the Yorkshire Regiment, . The question is :- were any of the Welsh Reg. Bn's dispersed through war attrition

Men were often returned to other Regiments within a Division,etc;,after slighter wounds,bouts of sickness,etc;{Not every Wounded Man was so badly wounded that they were Downgraded},or Transferred before embarkation,if the Numbers for a particular Battalion were under subscribed,& the Battalion he was a member of had a Surplus{though Medals were named to the Initial Unit}

10th,16th & 17th Battalions "The Welsh" were disbanded in France in Early 1918,so their Men would have been Re~Deployed