The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Royal Garrison Artillery

Guest watchbelow

Guest watchbelow

Hi,

can anyone tell me how men were directed to the RGA after recruitment/conscription and what sort of training they would have received thereafter. Many thanks,

Watchbelow

Morning,

In the early days of the war many batteries were raised locally as an extension of pre-existing Territorial units. Men could enlist directly into these units as did my grandfather.

There is a view that many of these artillery recruits tended to be older than those in the infantry and would often bring with them skills which were of use to the artillery. In my grandfathers case he could handle draught horses.

Training of these units initially was similar to that in infantry regiments, namely rifle drill, marching etc .

Later when a battery was accepted by the War Office it would be equipped with horse teams and guns (mostly 4.7 inch Howitzers). From this they would undertake gun drill involving laying,driving, signalling etc.

When they became more proficient the battery may be attached to a more experienced battery where further drill would ensue.In many cases no live firing actually took place until the battery embarked for a particular theatre of war.

Training in all aspects of soldiering and artillery techniques would continue throughout the war.

Roop

I think Roop means 4.7 inch guns, not howitzers.

123 Heavy Battery recruited all their drivers from London draymen etc who were all used to draught horses.

If you want to email me your specific interests I may be able to help with more detail

Alan

Guest watchbelow

Gentlemen,

many thanks. My interest stems from my grandfather who was a Sergeant with 182nd Siege Battery according to the medal roll-no personal record exists. He lived in London but prior to WW1 was Courts Martialled and drummed out of the RMA following a period of imprisonment. Looking at RGA men with similar numbers it looks as though he enlisted or was a Derby man in December 1915. His battery went to France/Flanders in October 1916-I have a full history taken from HAG Diaries as the battery's diary is missing. The ten months between enlisting and overseas service seems a bit extreme-could he have been held back to help with training? All the best,

Watchbelow.

I have an interest in a gunner in 160 Siege Battery RGA who was a 1916 conscript. He attested on 12th Feb 1916, and enlisted on April 19th, both at Halifax Barracks (his home town). He was sent to Yarmouth to join the RGA the following day. On 27th May his group was posted to Pembroke Dock where 160 Siege Battery was formed. On 11th July the Battery moved to Lille Barracks, Farnborough for two weeks and then on 26th July to Lydd in Kent, where they fired a course on the range. The Battery was equipped with four 6 inch 26 cwt BL Howitzers. On 26th August the Battery was posted to Stock Cross,Newbury, Berkshire for mobilisiiation and on 18th September embarked at Southampton for Le Havre. Yorkshire to Norfolk to South West Wales to Hampshire, then Kent and finally Berkshire in five months. The Battalion went straight from Le Havre by way of Rouen, Abbeyville, Boulogne and Ballieu into position at La Clytte(De Klijte) on 23rd September to join the 51st Heavy Artillery Group, part of the Fourth Army.

I hope this may help