The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Little Brother Goes Soldiering

ryandunny

Hi, does anyone know where I could find a copy of Little Brother Goes Soldiering by R H Keirnan?? 

Would love an e copy or a typescript version?

I've found it really hard to find apart from copies that cost a fortune! 

Thanks 

Ryan

You could ask your local public library for an inter-library loan? The BLDSC (British Library Document Supply Centre), or that's what it used to be called, used to have an option on its form that you could tick for a photocopy if that would be acceptable.

I don't believe the service is as cheap as it used to be, but it's probably still cheaper than a fortune.

sJ

You've probably come across selected pages

here

and perhaps you've noticed

this copy at £40

I must confess that I've thought twice or thrice about buying books that cost this sort of money, but I admit to having a twisted set of values when it comes to spending money.

Moonraker

I see the copies on-line vary from £40 -£60 ( the £94 copy on Amazon is by a dropshipper ) . This seems about the going rate from a dealer,

I sold my very good spare copy for £65 last year . If your looking for a bargain original copy on-line I would say e-bay was your best bet . I

would imagine most of the serious collectors ( all five of us ! ) will already have a copy so you would only have to worry about the dealers

snapping it up for a bargain price then listing it on their site for £60 + :lol:

one of those books that several years ago seemed quite common!

2 minutes ago, barkalotloudly said:

one of those books that several years ago seemed quite common!

Yes , I expect it's a bit more sought after now because it's one of the few that they haven't yet reprinted.

it must be very difficult for serious dealers to cope with the deluge of cheap reprints,

4 minutes ago, Black Maria said:

Yes , I expect it's a bit more sought after now because it's one of the few that they haven't yet reprinted.

which have driven me to only purchase the very scarce items one offs etc 

1 minute ago, barkalotloudly said:

it must be very difficult for serious dealers to cope with the deluge of cheap reprints,

which have driven me to only purchase the very scarce items one offs etc 

Yes , unlike medal / miltaria collecting , where the vast majority of are only interested in the originals , with rare WW1 books it seems

that for the vast majority a £2.99 poor quality paperback reprint is as valued as the original hardback copy .

I remember being at a book fair with Tom Donovan some years ago and having to persuade him that a fine copy of this book in its jacket was a good investment at £25. I think it took him quite some time to sell it on!

31 minutes ago, Dust Jacket Collector said:

I remember being at a book fair with Tom Donovan some years ago and having to persuade him that a fine copy of this book in its jacket was a good investment at £25. I think it took him quite some time to sell it on!

I think I only brought my jacketed copy recently . I seem to remember seeing them for sale but it wasn't top of my jacketed wants list

because it's quite dull  ( the jacket that is , I really rated the book)

little brother front.jpeg

little brother back.jpeg

Edited by Black Maria

1 hour ago, Black Maria said:

I think I only brought my jacketed copy recently . I seem to remember seeing them for sale but it wasn't top of my jacketed wants list

because it's quite dull  ( the jacket that is , I really rated the book)

One of my favourites. According to my records it cost me £7 but that was 40 years ago. I once saw a copy at the ABA book fair which had an inscription from T.E.Lawrence in it but at £1250 I had to pass on it - didn’t even have a jacket!

15 hours ago, Moonraker said:

"perhaps you've noticed this copy at £40. I must confess that I've thought twice or thrice about buying books that cost this sort of money, but I admit to having a twisted set of values when it comes to spending money."

I know what you mean, Mr M, but if it's of any use to ryandunny, I've used this supplier myself.

It wasn't for anything military, but for a series of crime novels set in the Lake District. I bought the first two in the shop, liked them and thought that I would buy the rest. I contacted the shop, and within a week or do, the rest of the series (about six paperbacks, I think) arrived at my door.

All I have to do now is read them ..... but seriously, they look like a good firm and one which I would use again if I needed to.

1 hour ago, Dust Jacket Collector said:

One of my favourites. According to my records it cost me £7 but that was 40 years ago. I once saw a copy at the ABA book fair which had an inscription from T.E.Lawrence in it but at £1250 I had to pass on it - didn’t even have a jacket!

I would have really loved to own that copy , even without the jacket :)