Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Rank? medal

tbirduk

Is there enough on this photo to identify the Rank of this RFA Officer?
Am I right in thinking one of the ribbons is the MC?

possible MC.jpg

Edited by tbirduk
text

I wonder if it’s a 1914 star ribbon with rose emblem?

simon

Just now, mancpal said:

I wonder if it’s a 1914 star ribbon with rose emblem?

simon

14 star ribbon and rose looks a good fit to me too. 

Assuming Identification is correct, he was posted to France 20 Aug 1914 so very good fit, thanks
So that means photo is post November 1917?
He was gazetted Major in January 1917, MC was gazetted August 1915, with Bar September 1917 ...

I'd say it's an MC and Bar ribbon, personally.

Know what you mean with the MC and bar. I’m not sure when the 14 star ribbon first appeared but given that his second MC was Nov ‘17 could this narrow down the time frame meaning that the photo was taken between the 2 dates of issue as it appears he only sports one ribbon (whichever one it may be) ?

Simon

9 hours ago, Steven Broomfield said:

I'd say it's an MC and Bar ribbon, personally.

I'd agree with Steven - ribband of the MC with the rosette for the second award. The ribband of the 1914 and 1914/15 Star is watered silk, the colours red-white-blue blending neatly into each other, whilst that of the MC has the distinct separate white-purple-white, each with harsh edges as appears to be the case here.

7 hours ago, aim said:

Slightly off topic, but has his hat got a row of lace-holes across the front, with the loose lace showing on the right as we look at it?

It is the officers version of the "gor blimey" cap. Those are the chinstrap attached to the flap that forms the neck curtain for use in bad weather, eg:

http://www.warrelics.eu/forum/ww1-allies-great-britain-france-usa-etc-1914-1918/ww1-style-british-army-staff-officers-service-dress-cap-252289/

Ww1 style british army staff officers service dress cap

Ww1 style british army staff officers service dress cap

Dear Andrew Upton,

Thanks for replying.

I had never come across an officer's gor blimey cap before. The "lace holes" look different to the ones in your example, but now I can see the neck curtain flaps (very useful!) at the side of the hat. I expect there were different suppliers and different issues. Thanks again.

aim