The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Thomas Harker 4698 5.E.LANCS Burnley

JOHNBOWMAN

I have been intending to research my Granddads service life since his death in 1975. I was brought up by him and have his identity discs and Silver War Badge.

I know he was badly wounded on The Some but don't know when. He talked very little about the war but I am sure he went to Egypt. He told me that at one time he was a sniper. My family told me that he had been wounded carrying an officer back from between the lines and many years ago I met the stretcher bearer that carried him off the Some.

His Silver war badge has a number on the back. 389760. His identity tags have stamped into them 4698 T. HARKER 5 E.LANCS.

I have not yet been to search the records but have tried to find his medal cards. There are several T and Thomas Harkers but none with his number.

Yoo can see his photograph in uniform and at a hospital recovering from wounds., at the web site. http://www.pbase.com/bowman/harker_family_photographs.

You will also see a photograph of him at his wedding wearing the Silver War Badge.

Please can you help with any information to get me started?

Thank you in anticipation. John Bowman. North Wales

John.

In early 1917, the Territorial numbering system changed (the 5th ELR was a Territorial Bn) to 6 digit numbers. The online MIC lists mention 2 soldiers named "Thomas Harker" who have 6 digit numbers (241867 and 242461) in the East Lancs. Both of these are 5th Battalion numbers. Chances are that one of these is your Grandad (I'd put my money on it being 241867, by the way ;) )

Dave.

(PS. no relation to "Paddy" Harker who was one of my dad's teachers at Burnley Grammar School during WW2 and one of mine at St.Ted's, Burnley in 1982 by any chance?)

Dave

Thanks for that information, I have downloaded the medal cards and see that Thomas Harker 241867 was entitled to the Victory and British Medal in addition to the War Badge.

Could you tell me if the actual medal rolls would give me more detail?

I don't think there is any connection with the harkers you mention. Grandad had two Brithers, Jim and Miles. Both served during the Great War and all three survived. Thomas Harker was an inspector at Burnley Air Products during WW11 and my mother was an aircraft fitter.

Thanks again for your help

John Bowman

Could you tell me if the actual medal rolls would give me more detail?

Not really much more than you already know. It'd give his battalion (which you already know), but if he had served in any other battalion, this would be listed.

I notice that 241867 has 2 MIC's listed on the NA website. Have you downloaded both of them? One could have further info on it.

Dave.