The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

List of famous people who died in WW1

Lady Linda

7 hours ago, Lady Linda said:

i just wanted a very short list that people can instantly recognise.

Not because they were more important, but to interest people that have no  interest in WW1.

If people have never heard of them why would they be interested? 

Does that question veer towards contradicting your stance earlier to a degree?  You appear to dislike the idea of listing the famous now question if they are not famous who would be interested? It is a list plain and simple with the object of attracting attention and surely others can decide for themselves if they are interested or not.  There are many lists being made by various people on the forum and this one is clearly attracting attention as names are being suggested by members.  It is likely to get some interest on social media and the chance that someone who was not ‘remembering’ just may do so which has to be good.  I have not heard of most of the soldiers who pop up on the forum for example on ‘postcards’ but it is interesting - let’s spread interest via whatever method we can you never know what it might lead others to discover.  

No I'm not contradicting myself at all. What I am saying is that to young people, famous people are here and now. Telling them about a footballer who played for Arsenal before WW1, who they have never heard of, never seen, and whose lifestyle was totally unlike that of footballers today makes his 'fame' irrelevant in the context of WW1 'famous' people. Was he any better than a master pattern maker, barrister, or jeweler who probably earned more than the footballer and who also died? He probably had less respect at that time than the examples I have quoted.

Fame is fleeting and superficial unless people lead lives of substance and achieve things. Always has been and always will be.

27 minutes ago, Gunner Bailey said:

Fame is fleeting and superficial unless people lead lives of substance and achieve things. Always has been and always will be.

That is the point, surely? Those who were famous 100 years ago had achieved something, unlike today's celebritariat.

3 hours ago, Alisonmallen62 said:

Does that question veer towards contradicting your stance earlier to a degree?  You appear to dislike the idea of listing the famous now question if they are not famous who would be interested? It is a list plain and simple with the object of attracting attention and surely others can decide for themselves if they are interested or not.  There are many lists being made by various people on the forum and this one is clearly attracting attention as names are being suggested by members.  It is likely to get some interest on social media and the chance that someone who was not ‘remembering’ just may do so which has to be good.  I have not heard of most of the soldiers who pop up on the forum for example on ‘postcards’ but it is interesting - let’s spread interest via whatever method we can you never know what it might lead others to discover.  

Thank you. I do a Remembrance tree each year at local tree festival, remembering ordinary soldiers from all over the place. We get 13,000 visitors in 6 days and I always do an extra book of facts, which gets read by many people. Who knows what interests will be sparked when I list a variety of  famous people.

Sounds great!