The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

2/Border Regiment

oconnellto

Hi,

The attached photo is of a group of Border Regiment officers.  It includes my grandfather, middle row second from left.  I would appreciate any verification that anyone could give me re cap badges, medals etc. which might give an approximate date to the photo. Of course it would be even better if someone out there could identify the people in the photo

bordersmall2.jpg

1 hour ago, oconnellto said:

Hi,

The attached photo is of a group of Border Regiment officers.  It includes my grandfather, middle row second from left.  I would appreciate any verification that anyone could give me re cap badges, medals etc. which might give an approximate date to the photo. Of course it would be even better if someone out there could identify the people in the photo

bordersmall2.jpg

Hi,

There are 2 officers in the middle row who appear to be wearing a single India General Service Medal. If they were serving in 2 Border when they earned the IGSM that narrows it down to post 1931 -

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Afridi_Redshirt_Rebellion,_Indian_North_West_Frontier_1930–31.

Steve

PS

Have you considered sending it to the Regimental Museum at Carlisle Castle? The Curator Stuart Eastwood may be able to assist.

https://www.cumbriasmuseumofmilitarylife.org/

Edited by tullybrone

Just now, tullybrone said:

Hi,

There are 2 officers in the middle row who appear to be wearing a single India General Service Medal. If they were serving in 2 Border when they earned the IGSM that narrows it down to post 1931 -

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Afridi_Redshirt_Rebellion,_Indian_North_West_Frontier_1930–31.

Steve

Hi Steve, that would tie-in nicely with what I know about my grandfather's career.  He did serve in India, in Rawalpindi and in Tientsin and Malta.  So photo has been taken presumably when they came home.Any idea where they came home to?  My grandfather died in hampshire in 1936 and is buried, i believe, in Aldershot.  but I haven't been able to find his grave.  He was Henry 'Harry' Greene. died at the age of 47. Served in france as well as abroad, judging by his medals! Any way of telling the ranks of the officers, particularly middle row second from left? (the guy with all the medals)

11 minutes ago, tullybrone said:

Hi,

Steve

PS

Have you considered sending it to the Regimental Museum at Carlisle Castle? The Curator Stuart Eastwood may be able to assist.

https://www.cumbriasmuseumofmilitarylife.org/

I never thought of that .  I will certainly give it a shot.  Thanks, Steve.

He appears to have two emblems of rank on the shoulder. That means either Lieutenant or Lt Colonel. If he was a Lt Col, I`d expect him to be on the front row! He has a lot of service for a Lt - was he maybe a commissioned quartermaster?

Just now, PhilB said:

He appears to have two emblems of rank on the shoulder. That means either Lieutenant or Lt Colonel. If he was a Lt Col, I`d expect him to be on the front row! He has a lot of service for a Lt - was he maybe a commissioned quartermaster?

That's exactly what he was.   Thanks Philb.  You know your stuff!  It is a shame there are no names on this photo.  The front row must have some important soldiers in it.  It should be possible to name some of them.  i would like to be able to track his progress through the war and afterwards.

Tony

I can only suggest that a look at the relevant Army List would give you a list of the battalion`s officers` names. I`m not sure where you would find the List!

3 hours ago, oconnellto said:

Hi Steve, that would tie-in nicely with what I know about my grandfather's career.  He did serve in India, in Rawalpindi and in Tientsin and Malta.  So photo has been taken presumably when they came home.Any idea where they came home to?  My grandfather died in hampshire in 1936 and is buried, i believe, in Aldershot.  but I haven't been able to find his grave.  He was Henry 'Harry' Greene. died at the age of 47. Served in france as well as abroad, judging by his medals! Any way of telling the ranks of the officers, particularly middle row second from left? (the guy with all the medals)

Hi,

My understanding is that 2 Border remained in India throughout the 1930’s and then into WW2 service there.

There would be regular interchanges of officers with 1st Border (plus postings to the Depot and the 2 TA Battalions) during their extended period of service in India.

Steve

1 hour ago, tullybrone said:

Hi,

My understanding is that 2 Border remained in India throughout the 1930’s and then into WW2 service there.

There would be regular interchanges of officers with 1st Border (plus postings to the Depot and the 2 TA Battalions) during their extended period of service in India.

Steve

That is really interesting.  I remember seeing another photograph of a soccer team which included Harry Greene.  i remember later being a bit confused because it said First battalion Border Regiment.  In fact, when I started researching his career, I began by searching first Battalion records, only to find they hadn't been in China.  So you have cleared up an anomaly from way back.  Thanks very much, Steve.

1 hour ago, tullybrone said:

Hi,

Steve

Just thinking..... Harry Greene could have ended his career in the First Battalion Border Regiment rather than the Second.  I might have been looking in the wrong place.  Thanks, Steve.  Knowledge is power!!

Nothing to add to the thread really but I notice the gent front row far left is wearing the BWM, VM and what appears to be the Territorial Efficiency Medal. Does anybody know what medal the man centre row, second from right is wearing?, it's nagging at me!!. Pete.

Edited by CorporalPunishment

14 hours ago, oconnellto said:

Just thinking..... Harry Greene could have ended his career in the First Battalion Border Regiment rather than the Second.  I might have been looking in the wrong place.  Thanks, Steve.  Knowledge is power!!

Hi,

If you aren’t sure about his service details your best bet would be to apply to MOD Glasgow via below link for his service papers as they will give you full chapter and verse on his movements. Cost £30 plus a death certificate (not required if he was born over 116 years ago).

Good Luck

Steve

https://www.gov.uk/get-copy-military-service-records/apply-for-someone-elses-records

Edited by tullybrone

• 2 months later...

Hi All,

I'm trying to find the burial place of my grandfather, Henry Greene, Lieutenant quartermaster 1st Battalion, Border Regiment.  He died in 1937 of TB in the Edward VII Sanatorium in Midford, West Sussex.  This is about 12 miles from Aldershot Barracks.  I have been in contact with the Barracks and they have no record of him.  I also contacted the local Civic Cemeteries, but no luck.  The address on the Death Cert says, 15 Rawlinson Road Catterick, which is North Yorkshire, so I'm a bit confused as to where to go looking for a burial now the obvious places have been checked.

Any Ideas?  It might be connected with the movements of the first Battalion Border regiment in 1936/1937.

Thank You,

Tony

OP has also started a stand-alone topic regarding the query posted today.

Several members have already responded on that topic so probably best that no new replies to the above query are posted here.

Steve

Edited by tullybrone