The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Films.

kirkyboy

Well put, that statement. All casualties, and no winners!

DrB

:o

Best WW1 film:

La Grande Illusion (director Jean Renoir, son of the painter)

Best combat film - I agree, SPR.

Best aviation film - the original, 1938 Dawn Patrol (or am I getting muddled here)

A rarely seen but excellent film: "Go Tell the Spartans" [burt Lancaster, Vietnam 1964]

Best film to get drunk watching: Apocalypse Now

Adrian

Best WW1 film:

La Grande Illusion (director Jean Renoir, son of the painter)

Best combat film - I agree, SPR.

Best aviation film - the original, 1938 Dawn Patrol (or am I getting muddled here)

A rarely seen but excellent film: "Go Tell the Spartans" [burt Lancaster, Vietnam 1964]

Best film to get drunk watching: Apocalypse Now

Adrian

Heartily agree about "Go Tell the Spartans" - a sad indictment on a war that certainly went horribly wrong and maybe should never have occurred (but what war is immune from that criticism ??). 'Twas made in '78 (so post US involvement) but was set in '64 (pre-major US involvement - just "advisors") - but it is done with the mindset of '78. It must have been one of the first movies to "take on" Vietnam with that attitude. Low budget but very, very well done (you don't need a lot of bangs to give you the right atmosphere).

I think you need to be drunk (or on something else) to understand "Apocalypse Now" particularly the director's cut.

Cheers

Edward

Best war movie: The original 1930 All Quiet on the Western Front.

Aces High is pretty good.

Paths of Glory I agree is great but SPR. Come on, great effects but ridiculous story.Just a How America won the War Lead by Compassionate Generals story.

I like to watch war films based closley on fact.

I know it's not WW1.

Enemy at the Gates, has my vote.

Mark

but SPR. Come on, great effects but ridiculous story

Ok, you are probably right about the

How America won the War Lead by Compassionate Generals story
bit

But the reason I thought SPR was great was that it redressed the balance after a long line of films throughout the late 60's to early 80's that presented a totally cynical view of fighting men. Of course they were right to portray war as terrible, but they also portrayed both sides as being as bad as each other [even WW2], and the soldiers as not being interested in what they were fighting for, and as wingeing and trying to avoid combat. The MASH series is an example. SPR started to turn the tide: it continued to show the horror of war, but also celebrated the fighting men, who, however many reservations they had about politicians and generals, at least believed in what they were fighting for, got on with their job and were loyal to their comrades.

'Go tell the Spartans' also showed men who were courageous and loyal to their comrades, even if in Vietnam it was more difficult to believe in why you were there.

And I agree 'Enemy at the Gates' is great as well.

Adrian

Just a How America won the War...story.

Please be specific. Just how is it (Ryan) "America won the War" propaganda?

Chris

Adrian Roberts, I agree with your comments. The old movies that showed a chap riddled with high velocity rounds, ralleying the troops ridiculous.

Or they were always shot in the left shoulder and did a 10 minuite speech while dying, always brandishing a pistol,firing a rifle or throwing the last grenade that saved everyone.

Botts Greys,

Check your facts.

YOU be specific. Show me where I used the term "Propaganda".

Waste of space to respond to you when the term specific is from another language in your usagage of it.

Sapper:

Okay then, I'll gladly rephrase--because we do want to be factual. Based on your statement: "Just a How America won the War Lead by Compassionate Generals story." Please provide specifics as to what you based the "How America Won the War" portion.

Chris :rolleyes:

Steven Spielberg and Clint Eastwood are working together to bring James Brady's

nonfiction bestseller Flags of Our Fathers to the big screen. For those who inexplicably disparage Saving Private Ryan all or in part because the characters are American, here's a "heads up" so you won't waste your money seeing Flags: it too will be all Americans--Brady's father and 5 other young men atop Mount Suribachi, along with 70,000+ of their closest USMC friends and 12,000 hospitality-impaired Japanese, all on a rock named Iwo Jima.

Chris

All..

What about a scene from a film that makes the hairs on the back of your head stand on end..

The scene from Battle of the Bulge when Robert Shaw leads his tank commanders in a chorus of Panzer Lied. It does it for me!

Mark

Just to lighten this thread, and counteract the venom unecessarily injected by an NCO who needs to think before he types, you were talking about a film called SPR - hadn't heard of it - all I could think of was the banners the Roman army used (was that SPQR or something)...

The penny has dropped now, but thought I'd missed some key cinematic milestone !!!

My vote would be Apocalypse Now, but other films that are emminently watchable would include We Were Soldiers (bit naff in parts, but a good story reasonably well told), Enemy At The Gates and Band of Brothers (if that counts, kind of a ten hour epic...!).

Jim

Anyone knows the German WW2 film Stalingrad (NOT enemy at the gates) directed by Joseph Vilsmayer. Who has seen it? it is a masterpiece, no winners only losers.

About ww1 films, the new "a very long engagement" is very good.

And i like Westfront 1918 (from the 1920's).

my humble opinion..

All..

What about a scene from a film that makes the hairs on the back of your head stand on end..

The scene from Battle of the Bulge when Robert Shaw leads his tank commanders in a chorus of Panzer Lied. It does it for me!

Mark

The Battle of the Bulge???????????????????????, were Patton tanks fight the same Patton tanks but with a swastika or a German sign painted on it?????

Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr :o

Jim

Band of Brothers, ah, how could we forget BoB.

I bought the DVD "Tin-Set" last Xmas, and watched the whole thing over 2 nights, couldn't turn it off. Got totally engrossed, the 10, or so hours just seem to fly past.

Mark

My Top-10 from best war-movies :

1. A Bridge too Far (WW2).

2. All quiet on the Western Front (WW1).

3. We were soldiers (Vietnam war).

4. Full Metal Jacket (Vietnam war).

5. Zulu (Battle at Rorke's Drift).

6. Band of Brothers (WW2).

7. the Lost Battalion (WW1).

8. Tora Tora Tora (WW2).

9. the Longest Day (WW2).

10. Saving Private Ryan (WW2).

My Top-10 from best war-movies :

1. A Bridge too Far (WW2).

2. All quiet on the Western Front (WW1).

3. We were soldiers (Vietnam war).

4. Full Metal Jacket (Vietnam war).

5. Zulu (Battle at Rorke's Drift).

6. Band of Brothers (WW2).

7. the Lost Battalion (WW1).

8. Tora Tora Tora (WW2).

9. the Longest Day (WW2).

10. Saving Private Ryan (WW2).

I think Saving Private Ryan would be higher more 5th or 6th.

Kirkyboy.

Ah, 'The Battle of the Bulge'.

Must be one of the most hopeless films ever on the subject. No one seems to have told them that the Ardennes is largely forest, not prairie.

There are an awful lot of rivers as well.

Brings rubbish ibto disrepute.

The best film on this particular subject is still BASTOGNE. Made in the 1950s in black and white. Very authentic feel to it. Can't recognise anywhere, but as it wasn't made here that's to be expected; but you can feel the cold and the misery.

Update - sparked by the mention of 'The Lost Battalion' - 'All the Kings Men', with David Jason, was really good, v sad, but a fairly 'stand up' dramatisation, I thought.

Kristof, not heard of Westfront 1918 - is it worth tracking down a copy ?

Jim

it is a silent movie but very good!!!