The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Middlesex Regiment WW1

AlanCowl

My grandfather was assigned to the Middlesex Regiment (7th Works Btn) when he attested in December 1916.  From his records he served in the 12th Middlesex, 2nd London Regiment and Royal Fusiliers.  I can't  find anything about the 7th Works Btn.  Can anybody shed light on this Battalion please?

According to the parent site The Long, Long Trail, the Middlesex Regiment had three "Public Works" Battalions and four "Works" Battalions. The last of these, in other words the 7th, was the 33rd Battalion, formed at Mill Hill in January 1917.

https://www.longlongtrail.co.uk/army/regiments-and-corps/the-british-infantry-regiments-of-1914-1918/the-duke-of-cambridges-own-middlesex-regiment/

I can't readily find anything for a 7th Works Battalion in The Die Hards in the Great War, Volumes I and II, by Edward Wyrall, the official Regimental History.

The 33rd appear to have been a UK only unit so there was no official requirement to keep a War Diary.

Hope that helps,

Peter

No Labour No Battle has that the 33rd Works Battalion Middlesex became 7th Labour Battalion Labour Corps in (or subsequent to) April 1917.  Their numbers were 128641 to 170140.  Within 2 months of their formation, there were major changes which sent the Labour battalions hither and yon to newly formed companies of various hues in the Labour Corps.

What was the sequence of units in which he served?

Max

Thank you for your response. When he attested on the 15th Dec. 1916 the Surrey Recruitment Register records the 12th Middlesex (7th Works Bn) Service number 46373 . According to the Medal Record Transcription  his first service number was 87191, 12th Middx  and GS/82865 as his second with the 2nd London. The same number is used for his third service with Royal Fusiliers.

Alan

The medal records clearly have it as you have, 12 Middx followed by 2nd London (which was affiliated to the Royal Fusiliers) so that would have been his overseas service.

It is the "works" which, given what was happening at the time with the formation of the forerunners of the Labour Corps which has confused the system

The Surrey recruitment register has Middlesex Regiment (not 12th) (7th Works Battalion) - there was no 7th Works Battalion. (see LLT)

His medal card has no reference to a works unit

Soldiers Died in the Great War has "formerly 7th Works Company Middlesex Regiment".

It is the last which has it correct, bearing in mind when he attested.  The Middlesex was one of the first regiments to form Infantry Works Companies in Jan 1916.  There were some 112 of these companies by Feb 1917.  These later were subsumed into the Labour Corps.  What I suggest is that he first served in UK in a works company (hence not on the medal record) and then, rather than being transferred to the Labour Corps, went on to an active service unit, the 12th Middlesex and so on.

Max

On 12/05/2019 at 17:52, MaxD said:

The medal records clearly have it as you have, 12 Middx followed by 2nd London (which was affiliated to the Royal Fusiliers) so that would have been his overseas service.

It is the "works" which, given what was happening at the time with the formation of the forerunners of the Labour Corps which has confused the system

The Surrey recruitment register has Middlesex Regiment (not 12th) (7th Works Battalion) - there was no 7th Works Battalion. (see LLT)

His medal card has no reference to a works unit

Soldiers Died in the Great War has "formerly 7th Works Company Middlesex Regiment".

It is the last which has it correct, bearing in mind when he attested.  The Middlesex was one of the first regiments to form Infantry Works Companies in Jan 1916.  There were some 112 of these companies by Feb 1917.  These later were subsumed into the Labour Corps.  What I suggest is that he first served in UK in a works company (hence not on the medal record) and then, rather than being transferred to the Labour Corps, went on to an active service unit, the 12th Middlesex and so on.

Max

I am a little confused here  as the family story is that he worked in the supply lines in France..  If he was transferred from a Works Company to an active service unit is this likely?  

Many thanks

Alan

I am a little confused here as the family story is that he worked in the supply lines in France.  Is this likely if he was transferred from a Works Company to an active service unit.

Many thanks

Alan

As with all of them, his medal record shows only those units with which he served overseas.  As the first recorded is 12 Middlesex then the record is saying that is was overseas with them so the documentary evidence is that he did move from a works company in UK to an active service unit in France.  His death with others on 25 October 1918 in the line at Bleharies doesn't reflect a supply line job!  The family story may, over the 100 years, conflated the beginning of his service with the latter part in France - who knows?

Max

Thank you for your response.  The story comes from my grandmother so I am thinking he may have told her the story about serving in the  supply lines rather than tell her he was a fighting soldier.  As you say, it is 100 years and who knows?

Many Thanks

Alan