The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Testament of Youth

Tim Birch

Vera certainly met Vita Sackville West -on a trans atlantic liner-and corresponded briefly with Virginia Woolf. Not sure about Nacy Mitford. She was ceratinly a contemporary of Dorothy L Sayers-they were at Oxford together and Rebecca West ,Margaret Storm Jameson and Phyllis Bentley. Chronicle of Friendship gives agood description of a writers life in London in the 30s.

T of Y wasn't studied at school in my day, but the Beeb did a good adaptaion of it in the 70s I believe, which was repeated in the early 90s.

For more insight into her later life, try to get hold of the biography-Vera Brittain-A Life.

Hi Michelle,

Your sure know a lot about Vera. I will certainly check out the biography. Thanks for this.

Robbie :P

Found this interesting website for Vera.

http://www.ppu.org.uk/learn/infodocs/people/pst_vera.html

Robbie

ALso a new book is due out on March 1 2005:

One Voice: Pacifist Writings from the Second World War "Humiliation with Honour" and "Seed of Chaos"

Shirley Williams (Foreword), Vera Brittain, Y.Aleksandra Bennett

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/0...4686828-5714267

Edited by robbie

The nephew was Peter Donald Brittain

I think he went to school with my father in Newcastle Under Lyme

He was at my sister's wedding back in the 70s - I'll have to check details with the family

Jane

• Admin

Hi Robbie

The book you highlighted looks good, but its not the one I was on about. This one is Vera Brittain-A Life by Paul Berry and Mark Bostridge. Published by Litte Brown in 1995.

Jane-surely not a nephew, more likely to be a cousin? Vera had only one brother Edward and he died without issue, and had he lived probably wouldn't have had any as he was homosexual.

Regards, Michelle

Thanks for this, Michelle. An interesting family for sure.

Robbie

Michelle, Robbie,

Thanks for the interesting links - having read TOY and "letters of forgotten generation" I've now got loads more books to order and read!!

Didnt study "Testament of Youth" at school - the nearest to modern history we got was " The struggle for supremacy in the Baltic!!" - Gustavus Adolphus and Queen Christina.

Showing my age now eh?

Regards

jayne

Just received my copy of TOY..now which will i do first, read TOY or mark essays?

Robbie ;)

Also got a secondhand copy of Letters from a lost generation, today.

Edited by robbie

Guest Simon Bull
Vera had only one brother Edward and he died without issue, and had he lived probably wouldn't have had any as he was homosexual.

I know that there is strong speculation that Edward Britain was about to be court-martialled for homosexual relations with a "ranker" at the time of his death (the real offending probably being that the other party was an "other rank" rather than an officer!), but are you aware of any other evidence to support the contention that he was a homosexual?

Also, did Vera, before his death, have any reason to believe that he was gay?

Guest Simon Bull
Just received my copy of TOY..now which will i do first, read TOY or mark essays?

Robbie ;)

Also got a secondhand copy of Letters from a lost generation, today.

Whilst Testament of Youth is a superb book, personally, I found Letters form a Lost Generation to be even more interesting. It is sad that not all of the relevant letters survive.

Hi SImon,

There are a number of references on the web to literary essays and debates re Edward Brittain's sexuality - but none could be downloaded.

There is also an article/essay which I have downloaded which discusses Vera and Winifred's relationship in these terms. I can email it to you if you want.

Robbie

Guest Simon Bull
Rolands nephew David (son of Rolands brother Evelyn) told me that he though that had Roland and Vera married, they would have fought like cat and dog.

This is interesting given that Vera's relationship with her eventual husband was somewhat tempestuous and, by many people's standards, also somewhat remote.

• Admin

Hi Simon

Yes it appears that Vera had suspected Edwards sexuality, and learned that he had been implicated in acts of "beastliness" at public school.

Her marraige was certainly unconventional, and she was to fall violently in love with her Ameriacn publisher in the 30s. She remarks in her diary that she has been in love with 2 men, and married neither.

Hi Michelle,

Her unconventional life and beliefs are, for me, what makes her so interesting. Who was the publisher?

• Admin

His name was George P Brett.

Vera draws his portrait in Honourable Estate, as the unlikey named Eugene C Meury. in fact most of her novels are semi autobiographical.

Thanks Michelle.

There are soooo many of her books I haven't read.

Sure Jayne.

Email me off forum and I'll attach it.

Robbie

• 4 years later...

Would welcome the chance to re-launch the 'Testament of Youth' thread. I first read the book for English A Level at a Further Education College in 1985, I was 23. I missed the TV series . I got a lot from reading the book . I re-read it about 2-3 years ago and have got very enthusastic about the book and have tried to read as much as I can by Vera Brittain. Part of its attraction is that 'Testament of Youth' is quite a self conscious piece of writing. Vera wrote it in 1929-1933, a time when a boom was underway in Great War memoirs, and particularly felt that a woman's perspective was missing. Vera was also a great supporter of the League of Nations and was starting to sense that this organisation was failing in its mission and that another European war was a possibility. This realisation would lead Vera to declare herself a pacifist in 1936 and to join the Peace Pledge Union.

Part of the attraction of 'Testament of Youth' lies in its possible flaws. Vera seemed to refuse to 'move on' from her suffering due to losses in the Great War, which caused resentment from some of her own contemporaries. As already discussed, her relationship was Roland Leighton, so signifcant to 'Testament of Youth' was unlikely to have lasted the course of the Great War and unlikely to have got much further had Roland survived into the Peace. But Roland's death idealised their relationship even though Vera had to face her own doubts concerning how close they really were

. The revelations concerning her brother Edward's death-post publication; that Edward was facing court martial for sexual liasions with men under his command, and that Edward may have deliberately exposed himself to enemy fire or taken his own life, make 'Testament of Youth' more intriguing. Vera's reputation has survived this controversy. It is unlikely that she would have had any idea that Edward was facing such charges, though may have realised that he was homosexual.

There are other issues raised by 'Testament of Youth' which are certainly worthy of further discussion.

I found this to be a very compelling and haunting book, but I think its impact was signficantly increased because I read it when I was about 20/21 years old. Although Vera was much older than that at the time she was writing, the book captures the viewpoint of an emotional but intellectual young woman in time of war very well. I collected some of her other books and her biography in later years and was also struck by the fact that these emotions did seem to be caught in amber for her. Most of her judgments about the Second World War were clouded by her experience in the First.

When I first read it, I was very caught up the love story and Roland's poetry to Vera and I admit to re-reading the book a few times. It is a keeper for me, but the biography was a sobering reminder that the War probably created a relationship that would not have outlasted it. Actually, Roland and Vera were both rather difficult people when you think about it. The end of the book seemed so hopeful (Vera's marriage) that I thought it was very sad that Vera's life remained somewhat shadowed and her son seemed like a real horror. I have the book (Chronicle of Youth) that includes the actual diary entries that contributed to Testament and it is very moving.

I have to say that is is one of my favorite books and had a profound effect upon me.... You do care about all of the people in it.

I found this to be a very compelling and haunting book, but I think its impact was signficantly increased because I read it when I was about 20/21 years old. Although Vera was much older than that at the time she was writing, the book captures the viewpoint of an emotional but intellectual young woman in time of war very well. I collected some of her other books and her biography in later years and was also struck by the fact that these emotions did seem to be caught in amber for her. Most of her judgments about the Second World War were clouded by her experience in the First.

When I first read it, I was very caught up the love story and Roland's poetry to Vera and I admit to re-reading the book a few times. It is a keeper for me, but the biography was a sobering reminder that the War probably created a relationship that would not have outlasted it. Actually, Roland and Vera were both rather difficult people when you think about it. The end of the book seemed so hopeful (Vera's marriage) that I thought it was very sad that Vera's life remained somewhat shadowed and her son seemed like a real horror. I have the book (Chronicle of Youth) that includes the actual diary entries that contributed to Testament and it is very moving.

I have to say that is is one of my favorite books and had a profound effect upon me.... You do care about all of the people in it.

Indeed one of the greatest tributes there can be to 'Testament of Youth' is that Vera achieved her aim in ensuring that the people that were close to her whom she featured in this book are remembered: I think that her personal losses and the suffering of both British and German troops that she nursed in the Great War certainly stayed with Vera to the end.

The love story element is important to 'Testament of Youth' ; however unlikely the relationship with Roland Leighton would have survived, Vera's quite candid style in describing her loss, leaves a lasting impression. Particularly when she finds learns that Roland's fatal wound by a sniper,at Hebuterne, 22nd December 1915, ( he died the following night) occured a night before he was due to start his home leave and at a night when there was a full moon. Vera discloses how she starts to fear that perhaps Roland didn't care so much for her after all, and that he needlessly risked his life. What seems to have happened was that Roland's battalion were ordered to repair the barbed wire in front of their trenches. Roland went on ahead to see if this was safe to do so.

It is this level of detail that makes 'Testament of Youth' so compelling.

'Chronicle of Youth' also has its qualities, and there are even admirers of Vera Brittain's work who prefer 'Chronicle of Youth' to 'Testament of Youth'.

• 9 months later...

This has also been raised on the thread concerning Victor Richardson's grave on GWF but a new book 'None That Go return- Leighton, Brittain and Friends, and the Lost Generation 1914-1918' by Don Farr has now been published by Helion & Company Ltd, ISBN 978-1-906033-83-5

http://www.helion.co.uk/product.asp?strParents&CAT_ID=0&P_ID=118087&strPageHistory=search&numSearchStartRecord=1

The story of the four young officers who were so central to 'Testament of Youth', Roland Leighton, Edward Brittain, Geoffrey Thurlow and Victor Richardson, who all died in the Great War. According to the publicity for the book

'None That Go Return' "Attempts to place the lives of the four men in their social environment and in the context of political developments and military strategy and operations which affected the activities of the respective battalions, brigades, divisions and armies and thereby made their contribution to the circumstances surrounding their deaths. This approach will enable them to emerge in their own right from the shadow of Vera Brittain, where, for so long, they have been largely confined"

Looking forwad to the book. Don Farr has a background in military history so would be interesting to see how the lives of the four young officers can be appraised as officers in their own right.

Regards

Michael Bully

What seems to have stalled is the BBC plans to make a film version of 'Testament of Youth', first announced in February 2009, but all seems to have gone very quiet. If anyone has any recent information on this project, would be pleased to have an update.

To bring her up to date, I am reading, and thoroughly enjoying, "Climbing the bookshelves" by Shirley Williams.

The remarkable nature of the whole family continues through to her. From her difficulties in her relationship with Vera, her Mother, spending much of WW2 with people she didn't know in the USA, through to being almost certainly the only member of the House of Lords to be a Roman Catholic divorcee who then married a Jew, Shirley is a remarkable person!

She also happens to be a really nice person.

Bruce

Shirley Williams brother John Catlin wrote about their upbringing in a book titled 'Family Quartet-Vera Brittain and her Family' (1987). John Catlin was the least well known of the 'Family Quartet' consisting of - Vera Brittain, Shirley Williams and George Catlin and John Catlin.

Interesting observations on how Vera , like many other people, were so affected by the losses of the Great War, and the consequences for the following generation.

John Catlin had a stormy relationship with his mother at times, and could be critical of her. He died in 1987.

To bring her up to date, I am reading, and thoroughly enjoying, "Climbing the bookshelves" by Shirley Williams.

The remarkable nature of the whole family continues through to her. From her difficulties in her relationship with Vera, her Mother, spending much of WW2 with people she didn't know in the USA, through to being almost certainly the only member of the House of Lords to be a Roman Catholic divorcee who then married a Jew, Shirley is a remarkable person!

She also happens to be a really nice person.

Bruce