The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Any one recognize this railway gun?

arantxa

I'm usually wrong about these things but it looks like a French 305mm to me, the frame at the back and the shape of the gun mount look right.  Vailly is likely to be Vailly-sur-Aisne and without checking I'd say it is likely to be 1914 and the initial German advance.

*awaits correction*

Edited by Heid the Ba

Thanks 

4 minutes ago, Heid the Ba said:

I’m not arguing, but how do you know it’s 1918?

I'm not sure how he knows that but it's definitely not 1914 as a gasmask tin can be seen.

8 hours ago, Heid the Ba said:

I’m not arguing, but how do you know it’s 1918?

When did the Germans advance enough to capture railway guns (usually positioned well behind enemy lines)? Anyway, the uniforms and equipment made it clear that this wasn't 1914.

from page 270 of "The German 66th Regiment" 

it would appear that on 26th/27th May, a rail gun was captured by Captain NIEMEYER and  company 1 IR66. The gun was at Vailly railway station and preparing to move off.

For a considerable time this gun had been the terror of Laon.

That was 1918.

The below image is from IR171 and looks a match.

0F9A1C3A-C285-47BA-B411-34736C75D9CA.jpeg.f325b4cb94fe66da60643b405e1b4bb5.jpeg

Very impressive thanks

Here is another photo taken from "Chemin des Dames" by Gerard Lachaux and again confirming the identification as a French 305mm gun.    

Michael.

DSC04700.JPG

That looks to be a photo of the gun firing, with no-one in sight.  Any idea how they managed that?  Timer? Very long lanyard? Electric trigger?

The caption says that the gunners needed shelter from the muzzle blast (literally approx. 'noise of the round's departure') so some such mechanism must have been required.

It is an epic thought that these monsters could lob a massive shell,  payload 20 Km.  { or so it says }

16 hours ago, Martin Feledziak said:

It is an epic thought that these monsters could lob a massive shell,  payload 20 Km.  { or so it says }

Substantial but not overly massive - a 305 shell would weigh about 400 kg. A 15" naval shell weighed over 870 kg.