The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Can you identify this trench art?

Lady Linda

Hi,

Bought a couple of this on our last visit to the Somme, can you tell me what they are made from originally ? And also what the marking means?

many thanks 

Linda

trench art 001.jpg

French fuze 30/55 Mle 1886/89, 1889 T or 1913 ?

With the spiral upturned and fixed to the stem with solder or a fastener.

Try here:- https://ator1149.home.xs4all.nl/wfm/ww1/ammunition3.html

Might make a usable eggcup (not sure of size), but wouldn't advise drinking from it... ;)

Thanks boys! I thought they would make great egg cup holder too! 

The French 'beehive' fuse looks to be the larger type used for Anti Aircraft shells.

The numbers are the time settings, so that the shell can be set to explode in a range of timings, say 1 - 49 seconds after firing. 

Edited by Gunner Bailey

I think it is very nice! What fun to have!

11 hours ago, Gunner Bailey said:

The French 'beehive' fuse looks to be the larger type used for Anti Aircraft shells.

The numbers are the time settings, so that the shell can be set to explode in a range of timings, say 1 - 49 seconds after firing. 

49 seconds would suit a top-end battleship gun at the limits of range - say 20,000 yards or more. Perhaps it was used on very large shells? But what would be the logic of using time fuzes at such distances, rather than graze or percussion?.

MikB,

Although the time delay does seem long I think Gunner Bailey is correct.  Below is a link to an excellent website giving details of many French fuzes.  The longest delay, after brief consideration, that I can find is rather longer than the fuze in question here.

http://www.passioncompassion1418.com/decouvertes/english_fusees_collection_fr.html

Regards,

Michael.

1 hour ago, Michael Haselgrove said:

MikB,

Although the time delay does seem long I think Gunner Bailey is correct.  Below is a link to an excellent website giving details of many French fuzes.  The longest delay, after brief consideration, that I can find is rather longer than the fuze in question here.

http://www.passioncompassion1418.com/decouvertes/english_fusees_collection_fr.html

Regards,

Michael.

Oh, I wasn't really doubting it - just speculating on what the purpose might be for such a long time delay.

8 hours ago, MikB said:

Oh, I wasn't really doubting it - just speculating on what the purpose might be for such a long time delay.

It's OK Mike. I have had the same thought many times. However these fuzes were used on a variety of shells so may have been used on long range guns. Although they were most frequently used on anti aircraft duty very large shrapnal shells is not impossible.

I have one of these fuzes my Grandfather (sapper) brought back from France and have frequently thought, why 49 seconds when the standard British time fuze was up to 22 seconds?