Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Can any one name this ship

arantxa

It looks like a second class protected cruiser.  I think there were about 6 two funnelled light cruiser classes, the Eclipse, Astraea, Edgar, Cresecent, Apollo and Pelorus classes.   Decks wrong for an Edgar or a Crescent. I'll dig deeper.

Looking at the configuration of the forward turrets, ie single gun turrets on each beam, plus the deck configuration it looks like one of the Pelorus class.

That was my first thought too.  So,  HMS Pyramus,  Pelorus, Pandora, Pegasus,  Perseus, Pactolus,  Pioneer,  Prometheus,  Proserpine,  Psyche ,or  Pomone.  Pomone served as a training ship at Dartmouth from 1910,  Pactolus, was convereted to a Submarine depot ship (Ardrossan ) from 1912.  Pelorus,  the name ship of the class ended up as a depot ship in the Med from 1916.  I'm wittering on about this because all the photographs I've seen show the class as having prominent "Dorade Boxes" (aka deck ventilators)  These seem to be absent on this photo.  Could it be that this vessel is one of the class converted to depot/ training  ships? 

10 hours ago, Donny Anderson said:

I did wonder about the missing ventilators, so possibly the depot ship fits.

I've spotted a photo of Pactolus,  at http://www.the-weatherings.co.uk/pccship0382.htm  No ventilators.  Could be our ship.  Elsewhere there are snippets about  some of the class being used as testbeds for new boiler designs.  Pactolus and Pelorus were the unfortunate reciepients of Blechynden Water Tube Boilers,  which were not a success.  Both were pulled out of normal service very early in their lives and converted to depot / training ships.- due to the unreliability of these boilers.   

Thanks your all very knowledgeable

thanks